Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Gas Stove Installation Advice Required

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
3 replies 354 views
danhenshy23danhenshy23 Forumite
46 Posts
Hi,

We are currently renovating and are planning on installing a gas stove where a traditional gas fire and surround once stood.

We have removed the old fire, knocked out the open space, installed a concrete lintel and plastered the chimney wall, with all work carried out by professionals.

We have just been advised that a plate needs to be fitted and sealed when installing gas stove which unfortunately means removing bricks above the lintel so that the plate can be put in place.

Ideally I would like to avoid this and find a way of installing the stove without having to tear out part of the chimney.

I'll be looking to get a second opinion from a local trades person over the weekend, but thought I would ask if anyone has had a similar experience or has fitted gas stoves before?

Thanks
Dan

Replies

• jk0jk0 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like advice from a jobsworth who is applying rules regarding clearance to a cooker hood. If you have maybe 30inches, I would fit a cooker hood blowing directly into the chimney.
  • maisie_catmaisie_cat Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Academoney Grad
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about a register plate?, essentially a metal plate at the bottom of the chimney with a big hole in it for the flue to connect to/pass through? It holds insulation in place, allows the chimney to work correctly with a woodburner and prevents heat loss.
    I'd no idea a gas fire need one if the flue is connected to a liner all the way up.
  • maisie_cat wrote: »
    Are you talking about a register plate?, essentially a metal plate at the bottom of the chimney with a big hole in it for the flue to connect to/pass through? It holds insulation in place, allows the chimney to work correctly with a woodburner and prevents heat loss.
    I'd no idea a gas fire need one if the flue is connected to a liner all the way up.

Yeah it's a register plate I'm talking about. Weve been advised this is also needed for a gas stove.

I have asked if this can be fitted from under the chimney opening, but apparantly not.
This discussion has been closed.