Gas Stove Installation Advice Required

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
3 replies 354 views
danhenshy23danhenshy23 Forumite
46 Posts
Hi,

We are currently renovating and are planning on installing a gas stove where a traditional gas fire and surround once stood.

We have removed the old fire, knocked out the open space, installed a concrete lintel and plastered the chimney wall, with all work carried out by professionals.

We have just been advised that a plate needs to be fitted and sealed when installing gas stove which unfortunately means removing bricks above the lintel so that the plate can be put in place.

Ideally I would like to avoid this and find a way of installing the stove without having to tear out part of the chimney.

I'll be looking to get a second opinion from a local trades person over the weekend, but thought I would ask if anyone has had a similar experience or has fitted gas stoves before?

Thanks
Dan

Replies

• jk0jk0 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like advice from a jobsworth who is applying rules regarding clearance to a cooker hood. If you have maybe 30inches, I would fit a cooker hood blowing directly into the chimney.
  • maisie_catmaisie_cat Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Academoney Grad
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about a register plate?, essentially a metal plate at the bottom of the chimney with a big hole in it for the flue to connect to/pass through? It holds insulation in place, allows the chimney to work correctly with a woodburner and prevents heat loss.
    I'd no idea a gas fire need one if the flue is connected to a liner all the way up.
  • maisie_cat wrote: »
    Are you talking about a register plate?, essentially a metal plate at the bottom of the chimney with a big hole in it for the flue to connect to/pass through? It holds insulation in place, allows the chimney to work correctly with a woodburner and prevents heat loss.
    I'd no idea a gas fire need one if the flue is connected to a liner all the way up.

Yeah it's a register plate I'm talking about. Weve been advised this is also needed for a gas stove.

I have asked if this can be fitted from under the chimney opening, but apparantly not.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals