New driver car insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• NutWorld
    Options
    kerance wrote: »
    Hi!
    After spending thousands of pounds learning to drive and after several tests I’ve finally passed.
    I’m trying to find car insurance however it keeps showing up as almost £2000 for the year, I will struggle to afford this.
    Any tips on how to get the best deals as I’ve heard it can depend on the day and time you apply...and other random factors. This leaves me feeling a bit deflated.
    I’ve been using compare the market and so flat by seeing the results.
    Thank you!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/young-drivers/
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pro. To paying monthly not paying out a large sum.

Cons. Your probably going to pay far more than £1550 over installments. The interest could push that to over £2000 quite easily.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Plumjam
    Plumjam Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, I have this very morning renewed my son's car insurance. He had to have a slightly bigger car than the usual for a new driver as he's so tall so we bought him a 7 year old Ford Fiesta Zetec last Christmas. He was 19 and his premium was £1080 - he was listed as the main driver with myself and OH as named drivers. His renewal quote was £850 but I did comparisons which came up at £185 cheaper. I rang his current insurer and they price matched. It is exactly 21 days until his insurance is due which Martin L says is the best time to compare. Also, be aware that quotes between different sites can vary enormously. The quote on GoCompare for the cheapest policy from a well known insurer was £160 more expensive than on Comparethemarket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure