New driver car insurance

Options
Hi!
After spending thousands of pounds learning to drive and after several tests I’ve finally passed.
I’m trying to find car insurance however it keeps showing up as almost £2000 for the year, I will struggle to afford this.
Any tips on how to get the best deals as I’ve heard it can depend on the day and time you apply...and other random factors. This leaves me feeling a bit deflated.
I’ve been using compare the market and so flat by seeing the results.
Thank you!

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depending on the car you're driving, and where you live, that's not an uncommon figure for a newly-qualified driver. If you've not already bought a car then try doing some dummy quotes for different cars - start off by Googling which cars tend to be cheaper for newly-qualified drivers.

If you have a mother and/or father with a clean licence, add them as a named driver - this will often bring the price down. It's important that you state you're the *main* driver, but there's nothing wrong with adding an older relative as a named driver.
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    One or two tips..........
    Have you already bought the car ??
    If not look to see which cars are the cheapest to insure first THEN buy the car.
    Buy a cheap car.
    Don't get involved with 'black boxes'
    The terms & conditions of the small print are absolutely horrendous.
    Put another named driver on the policy ( legally )
    When using comparison websites & you are asked when you want the insurance to start put a start date of 2 months away.
    Pay for the insurance monthly & accept the horrendous interest rate charged.
    Accept a high policy excess if you can.
    Not knowing your exact circumstances I would have thought that around £1300 to £1600 per year would be what you will have to pay.
    Have a read on this website under car insurance for some good tips.
    Good luck !!
  • kerance
    kerance Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    If you've not already bought a car then try doing some dummy quotes for different cars - start off by Googling which cars tend to be cheaper for newly-qualified drivers.

If you have a mother and/or father with a clean licence, add them as a named driver - this will often bring the price down. It's important that you state you're the *main* driver, but there's nothing wrong with adding an older relative as a named driver.

I have a whole spreadsheet of potential cars that I could buy, I have dummy quotes for all of them. :D I've gone through auto trader and added every single car within my price/engine range.

Sadly I don't have parents who could help with this but thank you for this tip as perhaps someone else could go down as a named driver. Would this effect them at all in any way?
  • kerance
    kerance Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    One or two tips..........
    Have you already bought the car ??
    If not look to see which cars are the cheapest to insure first THEN buy the car.
    Buy a cheap car.
    Don't get involved with 'black boxes'
    The terms & conditions of the small print are absolutely horrendous.
    Put another named driver on the policy ( legally )
    When using comparison websites & you are asked when you want the insurance to start put a start date of 2 months away.
    Pay for the insurance monthly & accept the horrendous interest rate charged.
    Accept a high policy excess if you can.
    Not knowing your exact circumstances I would have thought that around £1300 to £1600 per year would be what you will have to pay.
    Have a read on this website under car insurance for some good tips.
    Good luck !!

Hi, so I haven't brought a car yet. I've gone through autotrader and made dummy quotes for every car in my price/engine range.

I've changed the date to 21 days as an article on here says thats the cheapest time - I've managed to get the quote down to £,1550 :D

I've ticked monthly but it boosted the price up a lot - plus, its cheaper to pay yearly isn't it? Whats the pros of paying monthly?

Thanks for all the advice.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The pro of paying monthly is that you can more easily find a hundred and twenty quid per month than a grand and a half in one chunk...

That apart, you're a new driver. You have no experience. You may well have the attitude that you've passed your test, so you know how to drive. Insurers know that's a dangerous combination, and they especially know that new drivers cost them a lot of money on average...
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The good news is that the premium seems to come down fairly quickly, assuming you don't make a claim.

My 19 yo son's was £1500 the first year, down to under £600 the second year. It's a good incentive to keep a good distance away from other objects.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We got a Toyota Aygo for a newly qualified 17 year old. 950cc and 4 seats (I wonder if the 4 seats makes any difference).

We had to go black box even though I wasnt entirely happy due to the stories but son was a sensible driver fortunately and we even got some money back at the end.

Took out a 0% credit card (I realise this is not an option for all) and paid the £1200 insurance by credit card - paid credit card off at £100 per month interest free.

Same experience for me as other posters - Year 2 - half the cost with black box BUT also half the cost without black box.
    Went without black box but son doesn't know this!

Hope this helps.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a black box fitted.

Add an older experienced named driver to the policy. This decreases the premium as the insurers assume that you wont be driving it all the time.

Don't opt for third party. More people now have Fully Comp, so the 'pool' of money available is greater to cover potential claims.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kerance wrote: »
    I have a whole spreadsheet of potential cars that I could buy, I have dummy quotes for all of them. :D I've gone through auto trader and added every single car within my price/engine range.

Sadly I don't have parents who could help with this but thank you for this tip as perhaps someone else could go down as a named driver. Would this effect them at all in any way?

Doesn't have to be a direct relative - I'm named on my step daughters and we are (obviously!) not related. An Uncle/Aunt/cousin with a good record?
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ...and don't look at corsa/saxo/pug 106 etc type cars - insurers load them as they're popular with new drivers, start thinking more broadly about different cars, it can make a big difference
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure