Adopting a dog ..........

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Uh, it's become far harder to adopt a pet.

10 years ago I was allowed a cat when I didn't actually drive..along with the dozen or so different stories of how she ended up in their care and her age being well out, however that same charity would now do a home visit prior to even letting you get a sniff or see the cats.

And the thing with getting pups and kittens is you'll know their background from the offset.

You can get pups and kittens from a rescue.

My pup was rescued from the pound in Ireland at 4 weeks old. He cam to me at 12 weeks old.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you for allowing me to vent!

I'm open to any medium size breed but hubby has expressed a preference for the same breed as our previous dog.

I appreciate that rescues are generally run by volunteers so prepared to give them a little slack but in the case of RC3, it's a national rescue rather than just a local one if that makes sense.

I know you're right Kim .....it's just frustrating !

And what breed is that?

Someone may be able to point you in the direction of a rescue.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Definitely keep looking and trying other rescues, this is the first I've heard of a rescue not allowing somebody to adopt for having a previous un-neutered dog, it's usually only if you currently have an un-neutered one, especially if you tell them that you know the benefits of neutering and had considered getting your old dog done but didn't in the end due to age and risks with anaesthetic.

Another tip would be to volunteer for a local rescue for a few months, maybe just go along and help out once a week or fortnight, that way they get to know you and would be more likely to overlook little things that would normally go against you when you find a dog you want to adopt from them.
  • joe0512
    Options
    It's not your problem, as a person who took care of a rescued animal, I could totally understand why they did it to you, they were just trying to protect those animals from people who don't have a full thought. keep looking, I believe that the right dog is still waiting for you, keep trying for it.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At the risk of being shot down here - all my cats AND my dog came from Gumtree.

I have tried various rescues but with no luck. I lived in a flat with no garden I worked full time. Etc etc.

My dog turned 13.5 in August, great age for a German Shepherd so I must have been doing something right.

My cats are 10 yo (2 of them), 9 y (one of them( and the youngest is 2.5 yo.

Dog has not eaten any of those (I could not get a cat as I had a dog).

I had no garden, yes but I had massive open fields and woods with ponds on the doorstep. My dog was/is happy.

I was working but I had a dog walker.

I was working so I could afford insurance, good quality food etc.

I had no garden but my cats were going into communal garden (down the stairs from 1st floor with me, let out and 2-3 hours later me going down again, calling them and walking them upstairs again - in a block of flats, can be done).

So sorry but I see dogs being homed to people who are at home and have gardens (ideal) BUT then those dogs are never walked (just let out in the garden) their medical needs are not being met (lack of money) etc etc.

Rescue re homing needs to stop being a check box exercise as everyone is different and there is a dog/cat put there for everyone.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I just thought I'd post an update.

Turns out RC4 did send out adoption forms but for some reason I didn't get them.

This has only come to light as I spoke to the regional home checker about another dog they have advertised needing rehoming.

Have put the forms in so even if we aren't accepted for this dog then we'll be further down the road for the next one.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck. Earlier this year we decided to get a dog. We wanted a rescue dog so we tried the centres, we struggled to find one. Either we didn't fit the criteria or the dog breeds predominately weren't suitable to our household eg lots of greyhounds but we have several family members with small dogs. Once 3 small suitable dogs became available, by the time I'd driven to the RC they'd all been reserved.

Several months on and no dog, we gave up and got a puppy.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You dont have to adopt through rescue centres. We got our little rescue Sydney through unorthodox methods to say the least.

He had been locked on a narrowboat with no food and water with a pair of cats for at least a week. He was broken off the boat by a young couple who could not take him due to their circumstances.

We got him home and straight to the vets as he was in a mess. The OH got the contact details of the owner of the boat who was very ashamed, as he should be and he agreed we could look after the dog and sent us written confirmation.

We had a long battle to get Sydney back fighting fit and it wasn't a cheap process but 18 months on we have a lovely little dog.

20191012-104009.jpg

Not an ideal way to rescue a dog!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You dont have to adopt through rescue centres. We got our little rescue Sydney through unorthodox methods to say the least.

He had been locked on a narrowboat with no food and water with a pair of cats for at least a week. He was broken off the boat by a young couple who could not take him due to their circumstances.

We got him home and straight to the vets as he was in a mess. The OH got the contact details of the owner of the boat who was very ashamed, as he should be and he agreed we could look after the dog and sent us written confirmation.

We had a long battle to get Sydney back fighting fit and it wasn't a cheap process but 18 months on we have a lovely little dog.

20191012-104009.jpg

Not an ideal way to rescue a dog!
    Awww what a lovely dog? Do you know what breeds are in him? His face and tail are similar to my puppy.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2019 at 1:03AM
    Options
    It is ridiculous how difficult it is to adopt a UK dog from rescue centres nowadays ... Unless you tick "every" box they just arent bothered ... and even if you are eligible tt is like they are doing us a favour and charging an eye-watering fee in the process. I hated the experience .... and just highlighted to me why people use less desirable options (gumtree, breeders etc) .... Fortunately i did find my perfect dog in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure