dispatch times

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
5 replies 666 views
soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
67.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭✭
I think this is a question primarily aimed at business sellers - but I'm looking for your experience of using a long dispatch time, did it cause any real issues?

I usually just switch my listings off when I go away and never used to have any trouble with sales once I switched them back on , but last time I did this it seemed to kill my listings stone dead and it took me over a week to recover. I;m away again soon and was thinking of switching them off for a day or to, and then switching back on but with a 6 working day dispatch so I can post the day after I get home.

Any experience of this?
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide

Replies

• lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a business seller with a shop. I sell mainly clothes with some toys and bric a brac.
    I went on holiday 4 times last year. I put my shop on holiday mode and then altered the dispatch time. Mostly i changed it to 5 days (it is set at 3 days normally as I am only part time on ebay) but one of the holidays I had to do it to 10 days.
    My sales remained ticking over, they all got an email saying I was away. I got no messages, no cases opened, no bad feedback. It all ticked along as per normal.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lindens wrote: »
    I am a business seller with a shop. I sell mainly clothes with some toys and bric a brac.
    I went on holiday 4 times last year. I put my shop on holiday mode and then altered the dispatch time. Mostly i changed it to 5 days (it is set at 3 days normally as I am only part time on ebay) but one of the holidays I had to do it to 10 days.
    My sales remained ticking over, they all got an email saying I was away. I got no messages, no cases opened, no bad feedback. It all ticked along as per normal.

I am tempted to leave it open with a long dispatch time and have an automatic message set up as well. I don't want to risk not being turned fully back on again if I close the shop entirely.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a buyer's perspective, I do take projected dispatch times into account when buying but it doesn't bother me if I am getting a good deal!
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, I suppose I was really worries about the fact that many buyers don't seem to read a description at all- so possibly won't see a long dispatch time or message. In the past couple of weeks alone I've had people ask for the measurements of something when it is clearly stated and the question I am asked more than all the others put together is 'Can you confirm this is sold gold (or silver)' when description and item specifics clearly show a metal alloy. I've even taken to putting in on some of my vintage jewellery auctions 'This is NOT gold' and I still get asked.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • winspirationwinspiration Forumite
    284 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I would rather go away and have a good break without any bother, so I always turn everything off rather than increase despatch times.

A tip to revitalise sales on your return is to bulk edit all of your listings - not actually change anything but just do a bulk edit on everything. That seems to refresh the listings as far as search is concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides