Ryanair

Options

Comments

• jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of many reasons I have never, and never will fly with RyanAir. In fact, for next years holiday, I have chosen to travel to an airport a further 100 miles away to avoid using them.

Sadly you will have no success in pleading to their better nature. They treat customers and staff like s**t, and only interested in your money.

You will have to put it down to a costly experience unless you can find Mr and Mrs Doo Dee who will buy them off you.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]The OP must already have logged on on the computer/laptop. So unless the OP was filming it during the ticket purchase, How could the op prove it What evidence the OP has got that the contract was completed by a minor?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unless the matter is principle, so not just about the money. The OP will probably spend more of his valuable time to fight his case than the money he wil get back (if lucky). [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tine is money and this is MSE[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are a lot of more stronger cases than this, such as compensation for flight delay. How many people get compensation back??[/FONT]

Well, I was being a little bit tongue-in-cheek with both of the suggestions I made in the post to which you refer. Having said that, what sort of prat would you have to be to enter the names Mr and Mrs Doo Dee on an airline booking if they were not your names and if you were genuinely intending to fly? That on its own should be enough to indicate to anyone of sound mind that the booking was not completed by the customer - even if it isn't enough to prove it was done by a minor.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jimbo26 wrote: »
    They treat customers...like s**t, and only interested in your money.
    I'm currently in the Canaries. They were only interested in £25 of my money to get me here. !!!!!!s wanted £27 to get me home next week though. Why wasn't it £25 back as well? Money grabbers!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They were only interested in £25 of my money to get me here.
    Unless they've gone through a radical change in corporate philosophy, they'd have been very interested in parting you from much more of your hard-earned than that, but you obviously managed to resist the temptation to check in bags, choose seats, take their insurance, add on car hire and/or accommodation through affiliate deals, eat their food, drink their drinks, buy their scratchcards or duty-free, or waste money on overpriced tat from the gift catalogue.

They must hate MSEers (almost as much as some MSEers hate them)!
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 November 2019 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Every time you purchase a flight ticket with Ryan Air, RA will pay UK Taxes, e.g. Air Passenger Duty (APD) levied each passenger on all flights which depart from a UK airport. The fees are as follows:

£13 per person for each UK domestic flight
    £13 per person for flights from the UK to an EU/EEA airport

Add:
    Fuel Cost, Operational cost of Aircrews, Maintenance, Aircraft Depreciation and or Leasing, etc

If you purchase a £25 domestic flight or EU/EEA flight (say), it is a loss leader for RA How do you think RA could survive and make profit if passengers are just paying £25 per flight to other cities in UK/Europe?

Their business modell will depend on addtional revenues. Change the name is just one example. Missing departure, £100 per passenger to board to the next flight., price fluctuation based on supply and demand, seeling items, food on boards, etc are other examples.

Keep in mind RA is not the only one as other Budget Airlines are also using the same business models. Easy Jet for instance, you also need to pay £50 to change your name (60 days or less before travel). It will also charge you £47+Price Difference to board you to the next flight for missed departure which in many cases will be higher than £100 you would have paid with RA.

Many frequent travellers have missed the flights a few times, so the option is only either to buy a new ticket or to pay £100 to board to the next flight whatever is cheaper. As a frequent travellers, I get caught a few times. Certainly, I also do not like to pay more, but they mentioned it and you agree with it before you purchase the ticket.

This is what RA (Michael O' Larry) has said. If you do not like RA do not fly RA. You pay nothing you get nothing.

Mind you there are a lot of people have said, they will never fly RA again, yet they keep coming back after finding out the other alternatives they will be having.

I know some people will disagree but to me Budget airlines in the UK if you play by the rule is a blessing, they make people fly. I prefer to spend my time fighting the cost of rail / tube commuting in London and other cities. The cost of commuting in London and/or tube/rail commuting in the UK is probably one of the most expensive (If not the most expensive one) in the world. An entry level tube driver is getting paid £50k+. They might get a few grands more by working overtime. Compared it to what an entry level Policeman, Nurse, serviceman will get ?

It is such a ridiculous salary for such a low skilled level of work. You could literally train many adults to become tube drivers, Driving Lorries are probably much more demanding. But the people in tube/rail industries are taking the city, people as a ransom to get paid to this level. If you take the city, people as a ransom you will always win in the negotiation, so the law will need to change not to allow people to strike if they could take the city, people as a ransom.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ryan air, Easyjet etc may seem to be money grabbers but the bottom line is without them we will be paying 3 times as much. Before they came along flying was extortionate. Bottom line is book long enough in advance and you can get return tickets to Spain for 30- 40 quid. No one forces you to sit together or pay for any other stuff they make you click through at checkout.
    As for the OP, I too believe this is another made up story, there are far to many stages to go through for a toddler to do.
  • adindas
    edited 25 November 2019 at 11:46PM
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    Ryan air, Easyjet etc may seem to be money grabbers but the bottom line is without them we will be paying 3 times as much. Before they came along flying was extortionate. Bottom line is book long enough in advance and you can get return tickets to Spain for 30- 40 quid. No one forces you to sit together or pay for any other stuff they make you click through at checkout.
    As for the OP, I too believe this is another made up story, there are far to many stages to go through for a toddler to do.

Exactly. In one occasion, I flew RA and I only paid £9.99 if I flew with other airlines it would have costed me £150 - £200. So it could be 15-20x more. You like it or not that is the way budget airlines are doing business. You either love them of hate them. Although I get caught a few times (e.g missing departures, etc) and therefore need to either buy another ticket or pay addtional £100, I personally still love them as they make people fly. Just remember the era when there were not many budget airlines competing against the main airlines. How much they charge you ?? Nowadays they will need to drop their price and scrap any unnecessary perks to compete.

Just keep to remind people that there are already a lot of people have said, they will never fly RA again, yet they keep coming back after finding out the other alternatives they will be paying if they need to pay the flight from their own pocket.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As I don't do flights. Do these airlines not check name of ticket against name on passport?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    As I don't do flights. Do these airlines not check name of ticket against name on passport?

At check in they will but when I was trying to make the fake booking to prove the improbability of the OP's original claim no passport number was asked for at the time of booking.
  • adindas
    edited 26 November 2019 at 1:07AM
    Options
    born_again wrote: »

My personal experience flying with many different airlines. It has never been in any single occasion I have ever seen where they do not check the travel document to match the ticket, they always do that on the departure gate.

I think they might get into trouble with authority if they don't do that. Passengers will also need to be worried if an airlines skip this process, as a terrorist could be boarding easily using someone else name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure