Mortgage free and finally in a forever home

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,455
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    omg a whole month what happened I have been reading on here but not posting no idea why. 

Things are ok we both like working from home Mondays and this week I was down Thursday and dg came Thursday night so that was fab. Virus thingy gave us one more day down here. Builders are here moving along it's going well apart from the painting which DGs uncle was so keen to do turns out it was too big a job for him and now he's struggling to even get one room finished.  We were meant to finish it all ourselves and then skirting can go down and carpet fitter coming Monday to measure up. It started painting yet dg is asleep and we are playing golf tomorrow so not looking too good. 

We decided to have new boiler it's 10 years old and it compromises the kitchen layout too much so now new one is going in the loft next week. We are also getting new radiators all done upstairs but no heating downstairs until we get plastering done so a while yet. Using gas fire it is fine actually. Bought some smart new grey radiators as I couldn't get underfloor heating as I really wanted. 

Windows are in triple glazed and door. Looks fab but issue wit keys as I wanted a thumb lock which messed it all up. Getting another lock now wit 10 keys so should be fine. Fed up with going to Timpson. Hope I can have a refund as paid £25 for useless keys taken them back 2 now. 

Budget is a bit tight now about £9000 left but still stuff to be prices up such as fitting of the kitchen and ripping out of old old. I might have to spend more but then everything is all new and it is the forever home. 

Still some furniture to buy and not been lucky with the sofas had to buy the upgraded fillings as it was so rubbish still not fitted and with the virus who knows now. 

My mum is in hospital Addison Crisis a bit worried about her she's got a posh singe room so is quite happy. Doesn't look like she will be able to come over in 4 weeks with Denmark having shut its borders. Hopefully get a refund if  Norwegian doesn't go bust. Such a shame was really looking forward to it. Only good things is more working from home which suits me nicely obviously. 

Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Hi all cannot believe I have been awol for three months but what strange three months it has been with the lock down. We have been safely tucked up on the South coast with the lovely pool, hot tub and a half finished house. Been exercising next door on the big field and taking life at a steady pace. Obviously both working from the same home office which has worked really well. 

Work obviously had to stop on the house so we have managed with gas fire downstairs and although we found some fab painters to complete the mess DGs uncle made upstairs that did not get completed until last week when we could have trades in again. Outside work also started again and we now have a great new bespoke shed and gate in the same timber as the new steps to the garden and pool bar frontage.  Flooring and skirting went in pool bar and as we found ourselves unable to proceed with the kitchen due to a plaster shortage we decided to by new basic units for the pool bar rather than wait for the old kitchen units to come out. It now has a lovely white kitchen with black work tops yes cheapest from Howdens but with the grey and red ceramic handles it looks well smart. Last night we put all the decals on the wall so we now have a fab London theme in there black and red and white. Also putting some Union Jack bunting up. Just looks amazing. 

DGs ended up getting free optics as amazon seller messed her about saved £50 but they are not great quality but free who cares. She's also got a nice illuminated sign saying Pool bar and cafe. Really cool cannot wait to start using it. 

Kitchen can now progress as I bought some plaster which cost me £200 more than it should it's legit and proper stuff but I just wanted to move forward. This week we should get the patio down by the side and the footings for the outdoor shower. Then Friday he will rip the kitchen ceiling down and week later start on the kitchen. Really exciting stuff. 

Next week we get the carpets and vinyl laid upstairs and curtains are on order coming Monday so we will be complete bar the landing. We can't move into the proper master bedroom as we only ordered the bed last week not knowing it would take 6 weeks to get here so that's not until July sadly.  

Sofas still rubbish waiting for the cushions so fed up with DFS called several times but they are somewhere in Central Europe so much for their British build lol. 

Budget taken a hit as shed wasn't in budget but all good dg will pay half the pool bar so that helps. 

Office is great love working from home and I think I'll be allowed to permanently when this is over. I've got a new manager who I prefer to old one she permanently works from home so cannot really say I can't because she can't like the old one. Dg has been working from home too no problems shes suppose to Alternate with supervisor in the office when they go back. That's a bit nuts as they need to at least we in on the same days. She's hoping for 1 day a week so we could give up the flat or if not max 3 days and we would get more sharers in flat especially if our current flat mate leaves. So annoying paying for a flat we hadn't used for 11 weeks. 

I think that's enough update for now need a shower and then no plans for today loving being back at golf might play later it's great to be back seeing friends up there too. 

Take care post again soon lots more to add 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,194
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Love lovely to hear you news. House sounds fab will be stunning when finished by the sound of it.Take care x
    2024 Decluttering 1451 ⭐️
  • Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Glad everything is working out well TG.
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    All going ok glad the sun is back was a bit sad with all the rain. Patio in front if pool bar looks great and we sat in pool bar last night it’s really nice. Got friends coming around tonight they have not seen the place since we moved in obviously so good to sit in the garden and share time with them. 

2nd Bedroom Finished light going in today. Ended up buying new curtains rather then wait for Dunelm and Hermes to sort them selves out. Swapped for a different set for the 3rd bedroom they are actually really nice. Better then first set.  

Master bedroom done just waiting for bed and office has flooring it looks brilliant. Once cupboard is painted inside we can just use it all properly. 

3rd bedroom didn’t get carpets they 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Didn’t quite finish yesterday’s post as she golf lesson ended and we were out to play. Only played 4 holes as we had forgotten our water bottles at home and not sure they sell water in the pro shop. 

So lovely seeing friends last night it’s the one we flat share with in London. She works for the NHS and is lovely too. Say out side at our large dinning table didn’t go inside once and I did two separate platters with baked Brie and lots of other stuff. Pool bar opened and drinks flowed. Head hurts a bit this morning from the fizz. Late night hottub before bed was nice too under the stars. 

We have a tee time at 4 today but not a lot else planned. Need to check deliver for washing machine and fridge as to when to order from John Lewis. Also need to order hot tap for kitchen. Need that soon too. 

Been a lovely long weekend weather not good enough for pool which has been a shame. Want to get summer back.   
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds lovely!
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Middle of renovations really not much fun plastering is so messy and that's not me doing it. Should have had all of downstairs plastered but didn't happen will start again Monday but lack of materials still hampering things a lot pain in the bum this virus. 

Can't really use the lounge so still going over to ex FIL handy to be able to use the washing mashing for sure but also watch telly. Electrical has all the power off today but luckily the pool bar (converted garage) is on a different circuit so I can sit in here while dg is having a golf lesson. 

Decided to get a quote for the driveway as it needs doing as we have now taken the almost broken low wall out so needs to be extended. It means we can get 3 or maybe 4 cars on it but best of all they are not in each others way.  Proper double drive and parking isn't great here to be honest its a cul de sac. 

Got a cleaner now too I've always had one before and dg hates cleaning and do not mind Living in dirt as long as it's tidy. I can do mess but not dirt. It's £30 a week. 

More spending also got a PT so back into exercise need to loose weight and dg is really really large now which is killing her knees. It won't be forever just until bootcamp and if gyms open soon that will help too. Miss the classes. 

So spend spend spend but still within budget for building work bar the £4500 for the drive but DG will pay some of that. Kitchen going in Tuesday cannot wait to be honest. Room with the wall down is great looks so dark but the drying plaster does not help. Outdoor shower fab just needs the sun back now. 

Hope you enjoy our weekend catch up soon. 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Completed second bedroom 
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Completed third bedroom before and after that pink was vile 

Save £12k in 24 No 50

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback