A rant about roadwork lane closures and those who "police" them!

Options

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You indicate when theres a gap you create, its not up to other road users to alter their speed. So on your typical slip road dual carriageway or motorway if theres no gap you stop at the stop sign.

Slip road? Stop sign? You are supposed to match the speed of the cars you're 'slipping into' and find a gap. Use the entire length of the slip road if necessary. If the traffic is stopped, crawl along it, don't stop. In traffic, you obviously do require the co-operation of the drivers on the main road.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hareng wrote: »
    You indicate when theres a gap you create, its not up to other road users to alter their speed. So on your typical slip road dual carriageway or motorway if theres no gap you stop at the stop sign.
    There is no stop sign.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Slip road? Stop sign? You are supposed to match the speed of the cars you're 'slipping into' and find a gap. Use the entire length of the slip road if necessary. If the traffic is stopped, crawl along it, don't stop. In traffic, you obviously do require the co-operation of the drivers on the main road.

Until you're met with a wall of nose to tail HGVs in lane one, with NO safe space to pull into, whatever speed you try and match. If you're forced to stop by the end of the slip road, then you really are stuck, unless a really large gap comes along.:eek:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Scrapit wrote: »
    It is overtaking. Queuing is still driving. Nothing has changed.

The Highway code does in fact distinguish between "normal" and q-ing traffic, re overtaking on the left for example. Unfortunately it does not (AFAIK) address the specific situation referred to in the rest of this discussion. Which is a pity.
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I fail to see the argument here. When warned about lane closures etc. Most people tend to move into the left-hand lane and queue including myself as it seems the fairest way to behave and if we all did it the traffic would flow more efficiently.

There are of course some drivers who see things differently and will use the other lane to pass the slow-moving traffic. I understand they intend to wait for a space in the other lane to join the slower moving traffic nearer to the closure. This strikes me as being a little selfish.. everyone's time is valuable and no one likes queuing. However, I really don't let it bother me.. I'd rather not have the stress of trying to find a gap at the last minute..and would feel guilty passing all the other drivers.

The only time I get annoyed is when I am in the queuing traffic and someone tries to force their way in when there is no gap forcing me to take evasive action or have an accident.That's just dangerous and I doub't it's recommended under the highway code.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's roadworks near us at the moment that close the right hand lane of a bypass right at the end. So many people pull out into the right hand lane to police it themselves, including HGV and professional drivers.

If you're meant to use one lane, then the lane would be closed all the way down the bypass. The people doing it wrong are the ones that just go straight over to the left.

Just a shame the British cannot understand a single file queue isn't always the best approach.
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 November 2019 at 4:06PM
    Options
    why is it not the best? I understand if there were junctions the queue would block etc but generally, this isn't the case.
    I cannot see how it is more efficient for everyone to try and merge at the last minute.

The "British" comment got me thinking.. maybe it is a British peculiarity.
    Could it be our traditional sense of fair play that makes us act like this?

The British have a well-established culture of queuing and a very specific type of queue conduct, one that has been known to confuse many a foreign visitor.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Bradden wrote: »
    I fail to see the argument here. When warned about lane closures etc. Most people tend to move into the left-hand lane and queue including myself as it seems the fairest way to behave and if we all did it the traffic would flow more efficiently.

There are of course some drivers who see things differently and will use the other lane to pass the slow-moving traffic. I understand they intend to wait for a space in the other lane to join the slower moving traffic nearer to the closure. This strikes me as being a little selfish.. everyone's time is valuable and no one likes queuing. However, I really don't let it bother me.. I'd rather not have the stress of trying to find a gap at the last minute..and would feel guilty passing all the other drivers.

The only time I get annoyed is when I am in the queuing traffic and someone tries to force their way in when there is no gap forcing me to take evasive action or have an accident.That's just dangerous and I doub't it's recommended under the highway code.

No the traffic would not flow more efficiently, it would just create a longer queue. They have similar schemes in Germany where I am now, and it works perfectly fine with people using all available lanes up until they actually close. Nobody seems to know how to do a proper bit of give and take. It's one of the reasons why so many roundabouts have been turned into traffic light junctions.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,554 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Until you're met with a wall of nose to tail HGVs in lane one, with NO safe space to pull into, whatever speed you try and match. If you're forced to stop by the end of the slip road, then you really are stuck, unless a really large gap comes along.:eek:
    In my experience, most HGV drivers are courteous and will let cars merge from slip roads by slowing down slightly to leave a sufficient gap.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,554 Forumite
    Options
    Bradden wrote: »
    I fail to see the argument here. .

Fortunately for most of the rest of us, the Police, Traffic Management and the Highway Code etc can see the argument.

Which parts of their professional advice do you fail to see?
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family