Windows 10 licence expiring soon

Options

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    Yeah it doesn't read as you are getting a licensed Windows 10 copy. Most likely just an evaluation version that expires in 180 days. Which if you bought in June is just about now.

I suspect that the seller you tell you exactly that.

Windows 10 licenses don't expire, you just don't have one, so I wouldn't waste time trying to "recover" what's most likely not there to begin with. This is a 10+ years old laptop it won't have Windows 10 originally, best case scenario it might have windows 7 license sticker, that you can use to activate Windows 10.

Most likely you will have to just buy a windows 10 key from e-bay and activate it.

Which evaluation version lasts for six months? More likely KMS activation if not just an error.

If Command Prompt/Powershell didn't work for them, they can use ShowKeyPlus; ShowKeyPlus Microsoft Store

Alternative link; https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowKeyPlus7060/ShowKeyPlus1.0.7060.zip
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    In June of this year I bought a refurbished Dell laptop from Ebay. The laptop itself has been fine, no problems with it. However in the last couple of days I've had a message appearing on my screen telling me my Windows 10 licence will be expiring soon.

I've tried to access the product key using Powershell and Cmd prompt but no licence number shows up. I've written to the seller to query this but no reply as yet. The seller has a 100% positive feedback, so I had no reason to suspect any wrongdoing. Can anyone help, is there another way of finding the number?

Thanks in advance.

It's a shame you didn't ask for advice prior to purchase....
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Which evaluation version lasts for six months?

Windows server - all versions

For client versions its 90 days
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Windows server - all versions

For client versions its 90 days

Windows Server is not being discussed here. The title is Windows 10 licence expiring soon.

What is it with people being argumentative today? :)
  • AndyPix
    Options
    No one is arguing except you.

You asked a question - which I answered to clarify the ambiguity, and then provided context for the OP

Knickers in a twist ?
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    No one is arguing except you.

You asked a question - which I answered to clarify the ambiguity, and then provided context for the OP

Where is the argument? My question was posed on a topic regarding Windows 10.
    Yeah it doesn't read as you are getting a licensed Windows 10 copy. Most likely just an evaluation version that expires in 180 days. Which if you bought in June is just about now.

So are you suggesting that sal_III meant Windows Server had been installed instead of Windows 10?

If that is what you thought, then perhaps you refrain from posting on the Techie forum unless you are asking for advice.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    My post was informing you (as you asked) that the version of windows that have a 6 month evaluation period, is Windows server.

My point being that this was likely the version that sal_ll was getting confused with.

Then I further expanded with the fact that the evaluation length of a client version, ie Windows 10 - is 90 days .

I hope that is a bit clearer for you
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This thread has been trimmed. :)
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    This thread has been trimmed. :)
    Thanks for the reminder my beard needs trimming (and my eyebrows ...age thing) :cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    (and my eyebrows ...age thing) :cool:

I hear you brother! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts