Car Hire Charges

A word of warning to anyone booking car hire through vehicle-rent.com. These are agents, not the hire company which was Goldcar. I booked a car from Bordeaux Merignac airport and returned it fully fuelled and without damage last month. When I received my credit card statement I see a charge of £8.47 for "environmental surcharge". I queried it with the gent who said that if I had hovered over the "i" information button I would have seen the charge. I can't prove or disprove that but I doubt an agent has any environmental schemes. In my view it's just another attempt to fleece the customer.:(

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,973
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good warning, but you got off light. As "any fule (or Mr Google) kno", search reviews of Goldcar and you get get almost half a million complaints of scams, overcharging, fake damage, arbitary fuelling fees and insurance hassle- sometimes running to many hundreds of Euros subsequetly charged to your crdit card; 20-30,000 whinges on Tripadvisor's Spanish Forum alone
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    You got off lightly. I booked a car through Interent, not knowing they were really Goldcar. I returned the car as I got it, with a full tank. When I got home I found Goldcar had made a charge of €750 to my credit card. My complaint to Goldcar went unanswered (they never acknowledged the complaint, or qualified what the charge was for), eventually the credit card refunded it.

Book with Goldcar, Interent or Rhodium at your peril!
  • I strongly agree that you have to check with a car rental agency before making the reservation. In a search for opinions on each one you can make a better sketch. Look for more solid and prestigious agencies such as 8rental or Alamo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure