NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

edited 26 March 2014 at 9:43PM in Energy
4.1K replies 844K views
12357407

Replies

  • Did it! nice man arrived and 8.45 and the meter was sorted by 9.05. He even crawled about in the cupboard and didn't complain! Am setting up a duel fuel DD to give me a month to sort out if EDF are okay or if I should swap then i'm doing the offski if they can't compete. My first baby step to sorting this mess out!
  • to all you pound note savers! is this the time to swap and shop for seperate providers or wait a little longer? b gas & edf??????????????????????
  • Hiya

    I'm moving into a rented property on Friday and obvioulsy I need to decide who my service provider is going to be for Gas & Electricity.... Can Anyone help?:confused:

    Back ground info to the property - 2 bed house with Storage Heaters (Completely new to me!! :eek:) with the only gas requirement being for the hob in the kitchen. Obviously I am wanting the cheapest supplier for electric and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

    Thanks
  • Hi,

    newbie question. What is the argument against switching supplier now? I have just switched from Scottish Power due to their price hike (having been with them for a couple of years - found the online usage data really helpful). I moved to an online rate from British Gas, which was among the cheapest current no-ties rates, and got £60 cashback (approx 8% of my annual dual fuel spend). The move will take up to 28 days to complete, but until then, my fuel from Scottish Power will be fixed at the OLD rate (they are contractually bound not to raise the rate as I have elected to move supply following notification of the rise).

    If I want to, I can leave BG after 1 month, or whenever a cheaper option emerges, without penalty, and possibly get further cashback for doing so.

    The advice on this site is to avoid moving until all price rises have been announced, but why is this better than moving now (and so avoiding the price rise presumably prompting the move, and perhaps getting cashback too)? Obviously avoiding tie-ins is important, unless a decent capped rate is attractive, and this presumes an active watch on emerging rates.

    Help much appreciated.
  • SwanJonSwanJon Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The suggestion to hold off is to avoid the out of the frying pan into the fire scenario.
    If you are able to sign up for a cheaper or fixed tariff, especially with a company that has already announced a rise, you'll probably get away with it.

    If you base your descision on a switching site you'll find that those who haven't raised their prices are cheaper, but you might find that by the time you actually become their customer they have put their prices up.

    As with everything you can probably find an exception if you look a bit deeper.
  • MarcusBMarcusB Forumite
    23 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    skintight wrote: »
    Hi,

    newbie question. What is the argument against switching supplier now? I have just switched from Scottish Power due to their price hike (having been with them for a couple of years - found the online usage data really helpful). I moved to an online rate from British Gas, which was among the cheapest current no-ties rates, and got £60 cashback (approx 8% of my annual dual fuel spend). The move will take up to 28 days to complete, but until then, my fuel from Scottish Power will be fixed at the OLD rate (they are contractually bound not to raise the rate as I have elected to move supply following notification of the rise).

    If I want to, I can leave BG after 1 month, or whenever a cheaper option emerges, without penalty, and possibly get further cashback for doing so.

    The advice on this site is to avoid moving until all price rises have been announced, but why is this better than moving now (and so avoiding the price rise presumably prompting the move, and perhaps getting cashback too)? Obviously avoiding tie-ins is important, unless a decent capped rate is attractive, and this presumes an active watch on emerging rates.

    Help much appreciated.
    I'm looking for the same reason. I'm with Scottishpower for leccie only (no gas where I live) who have just announced a price hike, and British Gas click energy4 looks a better price according to some of the switch sites. Looking at Martins list, it seems BG have already introduced their new tarrifs last month but I'm still not 100% convinced that now is the right time to switch
  • Just moving into new accomodation and need to find best gas and elec price or just might be cheaper to manage with just elec as has night store heaters and the only thing that's gas is the cooker (just swop the cooker for an elec one?) Been reading through this thread, but still can't really work out how to go about it and what I need to watch out for. I've got to set something up now and can't tell which ones are going to make increases. Are there any that have said they won't be making any more increases for a year or so?
    Need to save money to fund the dream :rolleyes:
  • jmfwiltsjmfwilts Forumite
    27 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Q. The main article says that the comparrison sites are updated as soon as price changes are announced. Eon announced their increase today, but I just checked Energy Helpline and Money Supermarket and the last update for Eon was April 2007. See
    http://www.energyhelpline.com/xhl/page_a.aspx?ref=fhl_priceincreases_1&p=1
    Is this info in the article corrrect?
  • MarcusB wrote: »
    I'm looking for the same reason. I'm with Scottishpower for leccie only (no gas where I live) who have just announced a price hike, and British Gas click energy4 looks a better price according to some of the switch sites. Looking at Martins list, it seems BG have already introduced their new tarrifs last month but I'm still not 100% convinced that now is the right time to switch
    iam in the same boat
    currently with scottish power online energy but all comparison sites
    reckon that click energy will save £149 per year approx so think I will give it a go spose no harm in trying.
    will monitor usage and meter readings for 3-6 months and see what happens
  • jmfwilts wrote: »
    Q. The main article says that the comparrison sites are updated as soon as price changes are announced. Eon announced their increase today, but I just checked Energy Helpline and Money Supermarket and the last update for Eon was April 2007. See
    http://www.energyhelpline.com/xhl/page_a.aspx?ref=fhl_priceincreases_1&p=1
    Is this info in the article corrrect?

    Energyhelpline has been updated today, they now have all the correct tariff information on there. When I looked earlier all Eon tariffs were on enquire, now they have changed and you can continue.

    That article was correct up until today, I would imagine that it will be updated soon.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum