Royal Mail Dispute

Options

Comments

• Hermione_Granger
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Does the government gain from you driving faster?
    You know the answer and know why im asking it.
    Your example simply doesn't hold water as a comparison.

Do Royal Mail benefit when their employees break the rules and collect and open mail whilst in the sorting office?
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Enforcement for motoring has a cost. Unless you can provide figures that fines = net profit?

Yes it has a cost but surely you are not suggesting that when someone gets fined £100 that only covers the cost of the legal action and when someone gets fined £1000, that also only cover the cost.

On that, I'm out as it's patently obvious that you are still a Royal mail employee at heart and will never hear a bad word against them.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it has a cost but surely you are not suggesting that when someone gets fined £100 that only covers the cost of the legal action and when someone gets fined £1000, that also only cover the cost.

On that, I'm out as it's patently obvious that you are still a Royal mail employee at heart and will never hear a bad word against them.

You think that the court case/admin is the only cost?
    You seem blinkered.
    The fact you choose to deny my point speaks more of your own bias than mine.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do Royal Mail benefit when their employees break the rules and collect and open mail whilst in the sorting office?

Ah,you can choose to stick to an RM point when it suits you :rotfl:
  • tomdickharry
    Options
    the court decision is on wednesday now.
    some people have twisted comments made by myself and an ex postman
    i openly admitted that some retrieve their own mail, which is fine if authorised, but never necessary due to the trust so it's been done for years,
    does that make it right? no it doesn't and if the courts deem it so, i'll accept their decision,

but does that make it right that our management have never ever enforced this action due to them trusting us being law abiding people?
    this decision only shows that the rich board committee are clutching at straws and just desperate to crush our union,

i was questioned and chastised for the trolley comment, which i did later prove me correct, but then wrong for not using the said equipment,
    i'm not certain when custardy left the business, but with van share duties, it is easier to drop the heavier or larger items off when passing thus taking the need of using a slow trolley out,
    are you going to write to RMG insisting we all must use trolleys now you know if you were issued with one and signed an agreement to use them years ago then they must by company rules use them?
    if you did you wouldn't get the correct reply as they know full well if we all did they would have to employ 1000's more,
    but you bet your bottom dollar if the CWU now insisted on us all using them, they would take them to court saying nobodies used them for years so why start now? and would still probably win, do you get my drift on what we're up against here?
    it's all politics and greed with them, we are not greedy, we just want the current agreement sticking to & no b&h on the shop floor and to protect our previous agreements that were fought for,
    and more importantly for our employment and public service to maintain a 6 day service to the public, which will definitely be cut to 5 then 4 eventually in regards letters once they try to abolish the USO

we are our own worst enemies i know, you're fine if young and fit and can manage 5,6 or even 7 hours out marching not walking in all weathers but once the wrong side of 40 it becomes tough
  • MacMickster
    Options
    and more importantly for our employment and public service to maintain a 6 day service to the public, which will definitely be cut to 5 then 4 eventually in regards letters once they try to abolish the USO

I suspect that very few people are particularly bothered about having letters delivered 6 days a week.

If Royal Mail is going to compete with rival parcel delivery businesses though then they are going to have to start delivering these 7 days a week. People want the convenience of things being delivered quickly once they have ordered them. They are more likely to be in to receive parcel deliveries on a weekend so sellers will look to delivery options that offer Sunday delivery.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • tomdickharry
    Options
    I suspect that very few people are particularly bothered about having letters delivered 6 days a week.

If Royal Mail is going to compete with rival parcel delivery businesses though then they are going to have to start delivering these 7 days a week. People want the convenience of things being delivered quickly once they have ordered them. They are more likely to be in to receive parcel deliveries on a weekend so sellers will look to delivery options that offer Sunday delivery.

there lays the problem, a 6 day service is enshrined by law with royal mail as now, losing 1 day will put around 20k out of work instantly too
    most posties don't see us as a parcel company, we're a letters company that delivers parcels as now, yes the market is changing and some changes need to be made to those looking from out to in, mainly shareholders, to which the workers own around 10% but don't have a say
    so mail may have declined but from my own experience and same talking to others from different areas, we are now walking further to deliver the mail, so in theory yes its declined but we are probably still delivering not far off the same due to extra streets added over the years, and include the job losses of ageing people retired or paid off ill health and replaced with part timers that coupled with the increase in parcels which take up the largest time so in fact our workloads increased
    we don't want to end up on zero hour minimum wage contracts, which will happen in the next 5 years if RMG get their way
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your thick union reps are stupid enough to have filmed 'comrades' opening mail and completing ballot papers then they only have themselves too blame when if any action is deemed unlawful.

How much does the top person on your union 'earn'? 6 figures now doubt. You are the pawns in their political game.
  • MacMickster
    Options
    most posties don't see us as a parcel company, we're a letters company that delivers parcels as now

Well then the posties need to change their way of thinking or else Royal Mail and all of your jobs will go down the pan.

You are forced to deliver letters and make a loss doing that. That part of your operation needs to be scaled back.

The part of your market that is growing is parcels. The High Street is shrinking and people order goods online which need to be delivered. Royal Mail needs to grab as much of this increasing business as it can, or else your jobs will disappear and your shares will be worthless.

Resist change and try to stay the same and you will go the same way as Thomas Cook, Mothercare, Woolworths, BHS and other formerly big names which failed to both give their customers what they wanted and to make a profit.

I like Royal Mail and would hate to see them vanish from our streets, but unless they change drastically then that is exactly what will happen.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well then the posties need to change their way of thinking or else Royal Mail and all of your jobs will go down the pan.

You are forced to deliver letters and make a loss doing that. That part of your operation needs to be scaled back.

The part of your market that is growing is parcels. The High Street is shrinking and people order goods online which need to be delivered. Royal Mail needs to grab as much of this increasing business as it can, or else your jobs will disappear and your shares will be worthless.

Resist change and try to stay the same and you will go the same way as Thomas Cook, Mothercare, Woolworths, BHS and other formerly big names which failed to both give their customers what they wanted and to make a profit.

I like Royal Mail and would hate to see them vanish from our streets, but unless they change drastically then that is exactly what will happen.
    I agree 100% with this ^^^^.

OP
    I hope you get the result you and your co-workers want today.
    <<snip>>
    are you going to write to RMG insisting we all must use trolleys now you know if you were issued with one and signed an agreement to use them years ago then they must by company rules use them?
    if you did you wouldn't get the correct reply as they know full well if we all did they would have to employ 1000's more,
    but you bet your bottom dollar if the CWU now insisted on us all using them, they would take them to court saying nobodies used them for years so why start now? and would still probably win, do you get my drift on what we're up against here?
    <<snip>
    Of course I'm not going to write to RM about its employees not using trolleys.
    Just as I'm not going to write to Tesco because one of their employees isn't picking up boxes correctly.
    It's an internal company health and safety thing.
    I was just surprised to hear that even though using trolleys was "company ruled bound", staff weren't doing that.
    we don't want to end up on zero hour minimum wage contracts, which will happen in the next 5 years if RMG get their way

How do you view Jeremy Corbyn's plans to renationalise mail delivery?
    The party is proposing a programme of nationalisation that would bring into public ownership:
    • the Royal Mail
    • rail-operating companies
    • energy supply networks
    • water and sewerage companies
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50046329
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts