Monzo refusing to help with chargeback

Options
I ordered something online in August supposedly from China and nothing has came. The websites closed down and they don't reply to my emails. So seems like it was a scam website from the start. I've contacted monzo several times who told me I need to contact the company. Obviously this isn't working nd we're going round in circles. I've told monzo they need to help me get my money back. They are my bank after all and they have flat out refused saying they don't do this? Every other bank would help. This is £180 so not a few pennies. With this and the watchdog report I've stopped using Monzo. I can't believe they act like this.

How can I do this myself? How can I get my money back?

Monzo are like talking to a brick walk:mad::mad:

Comments

• Santanduh
    Options
    I've just watched Tom Blomfields fake podcast in response to watchdogs allegations. He's so smug. He says 95% of people are criminal and the other 5% probably are. What planet does this man live on. Not only that rather than answer on watchdog he's answered via 11fs media outlet Co founded by fellow monzo cofounder. Jason bates! This man has no shame. He needs to be hauled before the courts. What a joke of a bank he's running
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask them to perform a chargeback, if they refuse raise an official complaint.

If they don't resolve it to your satisfaction within 8 weeks, or send you a deadlock letter, take it to the FOS.
  • beanybot
    beanybot Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Monzo isn't a credit card. You have no protection in this instance. A chargeback is relevant only to Section 75 protection on credit cards.

Sorry. Should have used a credit card.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    beanybot wrote: »
    Monzo isn't a credit card. You have no protection in this instance. A chargeback is relevant only to Section 75 protection on credit cards.

Utter nonsence.

A debit card (visa or mastercard) carries the same chargeback rights as a credit card. S75 and chargeback are 2 totally different things.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    beanybot wrote: »

You better stop posting if rubbish like this.....:mad:

To educate you. S75 and chargeback are totally separate things. Chargebacks cover both DEBIT & Credit Cards.
    S75 is only applicable on Credit Cards (you got that bit right) but only on individual item costs over £100 up to £30,000.

A chargeback would BE the way for the OP to reclaim their £180. As they have tried to resolve with the company, then Monzo can start the chargeback process. If they are refusing. Then as someone else said raise a complaint.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Santanduh wrote: »
    He says 95% of people are criminal and the other 5% probably are

To be clear - he was specifically referring to the people with Monzo accounts that have been frozen, not people in general.

Doesn't necessarily make this statement any more true, but makes it a bit less crazy sounding.
  • Santanduh
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've emailed a complaint. Hopefully something comes from it as so far monzo are seemingly purposely being awkward.

Yeah I don't believe there is any truth to Toms stats either. Not after my experience. Seems like Monzo have invested in SEO heavily and nothing else.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just watched Tom Blomfields fake podcast in response to watchdogs allegations. He's so smug. He says 95% of people are criminal and the other 5% probably are. What planet does this man live on. Not only that rather than answer on watchdog he's answered via 11fs media outlet Co founded by fellow monzo cofounder. Jason bates! This man has no shame. He needs to be hauled before the courts. What a joke of a bank he's running

Well go and haul him before the courts, get a petition started to haul him before a court.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OP did you use your debit card to buy this or do a bank transfer ?
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've told monzo they need to help me get my money back. They are my bank after all and they have flat out refused saying they don't do this? Every other bank would help.

Assuming you paid by card rather than bank transfer ask for your support case to be escalated to someone who is familiar with chargeback.

I suspect many first-line customer service agents have not heard of chargeback. Not just at Monzo, but perhaps more so at Monzo than at more established banks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure