Where to start? Divorce, child, mortgage etc

Options
In the below situation where should one start ???

subject is Male, 47
separated for over 2 years (officially living separately for 8 months)
child aged 8 - absolute priority
wife of 21 years
house with mortgage of 250,00 (worth 1,000,000)
salary of 170,000 (wife does not work and has not done)
huge pension which understandably wife will get half off
savings - unknown figure
due to inherit £300k so wants this protected

no official legally agreed access to child - verbally arranged agreement that changes frequently and at last minute:
has son every other weekend
has son every wednesday evening

wife is unstable and emotional / agressive (hence first leaving the marritial home)

subject in relationship and now in rented accomodation - son aware, wife aware.. wife not at all happy

subject's first priority is the son and the thought of no access is unbearable however the wife uses son as bait, blackmail and as a lever.

communications between subject and wife are minimal and often via text and only ever about the son

where should subject start??

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    with a lawyer. but get your story straight, its currently different to this one

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6062868
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    Hypothetical situations
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    with a lawyer. but get your story straight, its currently different to this one

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6062868
    Not necessarily... Perhaps in that thread OP is the divorcing spouse - in this one OP is the "other woman" and "subject" is their new partner.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,148 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Not necessarily... Perhaps in that thread OP is the divorcing spouse - in this one OP is the "other woman" and "subject" is their new partner.

House value, income and pensions are totally different
  • mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The closer you are to retirement the more pension values will be taken into consideration.
    If in England and Wales any pension built up before marriage should not be split.
    Although technically she could push for the house, realistically she cant afford the mortgage.
    Worst case scenario she would probably get 70/30 on the house although the pension might swing this further.
    Unless the person has already died then the future inheritance should not be counted or considered.
    Make sure your bank statements are spotless, they will try and make mountains out of non events.

I would speak to a solicitor and on your wages go for a very good one, personal opinion i might get slated for this but go for a man although a lot of the divorce ones seem to be women.

My split was amicable until I started seeing someone else then she lost it big time, a few years on I still cant mention my new girlfriends name without a melt down.
  • confusedanddazed
    Options
    which bit is hypothetical?
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    which bit is hypothetical?

even if its not hypothetical what is the actual question?
    it seems access is pretty much sorted, unless you want a legal arrangement?

Does the person want to get divorced now? could they prove the 2 years separation despite still living together much of this time? if they ate meals together etc they cant claim separation

Does the person want to start mud slinging over another divorce reason if the wife is already upset?

The big question is financially what does the person actually want to walk away with and when?

I presume child maintenance and the mortgage are being paid?
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    House value, income and pensions are totally different
    Well they would be as they are referring to different couples... One is the OP's own divorce and this one is the person OP is divorcing to be with.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • onwards&upwards
    Options

wife is unstable and emotional / agressive (hence first leaving the marritial home)

subject in relationship and now in rented accomodation - son aware, wife aware.. wife not at all happy

where should subject start??

Why would subject leave his child with an unstable and aggressive person?

Oh wait, is that code for ‘not over the moon about her husband sleeping with other women and leaving her to be a single mum’? :cool:
  • flanker6
    Options
    Why would subject leave his child with an unstable and aggressive person?

Oh wait, is that code for ‘not over the moon about her husband sleeping with other women and leaving her to be a single mum’? :cool:

Maybe the wife is only aggressive towards the OP.
    The OP has obviously initiated the break up and oftentimes the remaining party feels resentment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure