Loft hatch cover for keeping in heat

Options
I'm wondering if this product is available.

Our loft hatch is often open and the ladder down as the attic is used by the children as a TV / games room but a lot of heat escapes into the loft.

Is there a product that can cover the opening while the hatch is open and the ladder down to stop the heat escaping?

Comments

• Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could ask the children to place a piece of carpet or something similar over the hatch opening while using the attic to prevent some of the heat loss.

Is the attic as built or has it been adapted for living in with insulation and draught proofing etc?

If you prevent heat rising into it, will it still be warm enough for the children in cold weather?
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Note, your hatch is part of an escape route in case of fire. Make sure that what you put over the hatch can be easily removed.

If in doubt leave it open and put up with the heat loss. Besides the heat will not be totally lost as it will heat up the loft while it is being used.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,922 Forumite
    Options
    pramsay13 wrote: »
    Our loft hatch is often open and the ladder down as the attic is used by the children as a TV / games room but a lot of heat escapes into the loft.

Is there a product that can cover the opening while the hatch is open and the ladder down to stop the heat escaping?

The heat going up there will keep it just a little warm for the little ones, stop the heat going up and it will be very cold.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Attic is currently as built although long term plan is to insulate and make into a 'proper' den.

It can be chilly up there but kids have bean bags / blankets etc.

I'm imagining something almost like a horizontal curtain and you squeeze through 2 pieces of fabric.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It isn't just insulating that need to be done, it needs to be structurally sound. The joists up there are likely to only be good for carrying the weight of the plasterboard ceiling, not the moving weight of people.

There should also be proper escape, for which a ladder isn't exactly efficient either, especially one that is covered. The heat escaping into the loft is also warming your kids up a bit while they're up there.

I wouldn't be putting insulation over it. I wouldn't be putting my kids up there to use a loft as a habitable room, full stop. It's dangerous.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Belenus wrote: »
    You could ask the children to place a piece of carpet or something similar over the hatch opening while using the attic to prevent some of the heat loss.
    This sounds like a recipe for disaster. Kids forget and step backwards onto carpet; crash bang tumble; broken leg or worse.......
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,554 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2019 at 8:27PM
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    This sounds like a recipe for disaster. Kids forget and step backwards onto carpet; crash bang tumble; broken leg or worse.......

I take your point but kids could just as easily forget and step backwards into the loft opening.

Stepping on a piece of carpet might slow them down sufficiently to grab hold of the hatch frame or ladder etc.

OP, I presume that you will evaluate the safety aspects of any suggestions you read on here as well as the overall safety of children in the attic.

Is it fully or partially boarded?

A piece of wood larger than the hatch opening with an old blanket, carpet, insulation or other suitable material underneath might work.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    It isn't just insulating that need to be done, it needs to be structurally sound. The joists up there are likely to only be good for carrying the weight of the plasterboard ceiling, not the moving weight of people.

There should also be proper escape, for which a ladder isn't exactly efficient either, especially one that is covered. The heat escaping into the loft is also warming your kids up a bit while they're up there.

I wouldn't be putting insulation over it. I wouldn't be putting my kids up there to use a loft as a habitable room, full stop. It's dangerous.
    I agree with this. OP, are you sure it's safe? Is there somewhere else they can watch TV or play?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure