Flight Cancellation labelled at scheduled change

Options
I booked a flight for peak ski season to zurich and eurowings have sent me a flight scheduled change for my flight which i cannot make.
I booked the flight a year ago and i understand that the slots have just been confirmed but the company has changed the day of the flight and the flight number. This shows that the flight has been cancelled and in addition the change is classed as a major change. Now I am stuck loosing a whole day of my break or paying up a lot more money to get a flight on the day I booked.
The company only have an international call centre and calling them has already cost me and they just stated that they will only offer a flight on the friday or the sunday (which are bad flights in comparison to my original booking)
Having booked this and in a situation where I need to get a flight to zurich however a flight now is pretty much 80% of what I paid for the flights their and back so a refund without any compensation is going to hurt my wallet significantly!
What can I do?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    are you due to travel within the next 14 days? If not then compensation does not apply.
    Have a look at their website and see if you can find an alternative that works or ask then to move you to another carrier (they may not agree to depending who they have ticketing agreements with)
    There is always a risk of schedule changes when booking far in advance
    Try Skype for calling
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eurowings are obliged, under regulation 261/2004 to re-route you , at their expense by alternative transport including other airlines, convenient to you.
    So if another airline has a similar flight Eurowings are obliged to arrange this for you or at least reimburse you.

You may need to book and pay for the alternative flights then claim it back of Eurowings. Expect a fight and possible small claims court action.
    Article 5 and 8 are what you need to be quoting at Eurowings.
    Article 5
    Cancellation
    1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
    (a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and........

Article 8
    Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a) - reimbursement within seven days, ...........

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
    (c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Eurowings are obliged, under regulation 261/2004 to re-route you , at their expense by alternative transport including other airlines, convenient to you.
    So if another airline has a similar flight Eurowings are obliged to arrange this for you or at least reimburse you.

You may need to book and pay for the alternative flights then claim it back of Eurowings. Expect a fight and possible small claims court action.
    Article 5 and 8 are what you need to be quoting at Eurowings.
    Article 5
    Cancellation
    1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
    (a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and........

Article 8
    Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a) - reimbursement within seven days, ...........

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
    (c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
    But is that true? I thought it was within 14 days that this counted?

Do they not need to just refund the OP? without compensation?

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Compensation is limited to 14 days or less notice.
    Re-routing due to cancellation has no time limit.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family