Redundancy After A Separation

Options
I don't know if I'm in the right place but here goes...

My husband walked out in February leaving our daughter and I living on Universal Credit, I now work 2 jobs. He recently 'handed in his notice' at work, a relatively well paid job only I just found out he was offered, and took, redundancy.

Now I really don't care about the money, I prefer to do things on my own but I do struggle and the offer of something from him would have been nice. He doesn't pay regular maintenance, chucks me a few quid when I'm desperate enough to ask for it.

What I want to know is should I be entitled to any of his redundancy payout?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Redundancy payouts are not payments for length of service, they are intended to provide financial support until a new job is found. The payment may form part of the divorce settlement but there is no automatic "entitlement" to receive any of the payment.

Clearly if your ex uses this money to pay for his normal day to day living expenses and does not/or is unable to get a new job until after it is spent, then it would be no different to him receiving wages or salary and spending it accordingly

Why are you not receiving regular child maintenance?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    There’s a few issues here.

First, child support is not for you, it is for the children, and second, no, they are not entitled to his redundancy payment, that is for him to live off.

What I’d view as the most important point though is that he should be paying regular child maintenance at the appropriate rate, so it may be a good idea for you to sort that out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure