Lloyds Trustcard customers only have weeks to spend their points ahead of reward shake-up - MSE News

Options
1235»

Comments

• priorslee
    priorslee Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    PriceyUK wrote: »
    ...he said that any purchases made between 25/1 and 25/4 would earn 12.5% cashback.
    I've had a similar call this morning with the offer of the enhanced cashback for 3 months. Only slight difference is that I thought he said 12% rather than 12.5%. Waiting for this to be confirmed in writing, but assuming it is, I'll be doing the same and diverting all spending to my Trustcard for 3 months.
    Aurora12 wrote: »
    So, in summary, you'v now received VERBAL statements saying:-
    a) Changes to their T&C's require them to give customers SIX months notice - I'd still question this
    since their written terms clearly state TWO months.
    I've tried to obtain the T&Cs for the Trustcard account 3 times over the last 18 months without success. Last time was in October after the points letter - the people on the Customer Services line were unable to find a copy of the T&Cs, suggesting they were no longer available - not very impressed!

It looks as though Lloyds might have changed their stance a little and are giving a bit of a sweetener. It makes me think that someone has escalated it to FOS and forced the issue.
    This doesn't get away from the point that they have made an error and doesn't answer the question of what about other accountholders who haven't gone to the effort of complaining (didn't think quick enough to ask this over the phone).
    For anyone who has points remaining and is thinking of complaining, I suggest including the phrase that you think their action is unfair.
  • PriceyUK
    PriceyUK Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Aurora12 wrote: »
    So, in summary, you'v now received VERBAL statements saying:-
    a) Changes to their T&C's require them to give customers SIX months notice - I'd still question this since their written terms clearly state TWO months.
    b) That, instead of halving the value of the new "cashback scheme" points w.e.f. 25/1/20 [from 1% to
    0.5%], INSTEAD, they are STILL offering a FURTHER 3 months worth of discounts - but at 12.5%
    instead of 10%.
    Somehow, that doesn't sound correct - when they've confirmed to you "that nothing can be done
    about the scheme ending... as "the wheels have been set in motion".
    It's unacceptable that they've ignored their customers and NOT notified the rest of us what their proposals are!
    IF they are actually offering 12.5% CASHBACK [instead of 0.5%] w.e.f. 25/1/20 - BUT only for 3 mths. of FUTURE purchases, that simply DOESN'T address the status quo re: our already earned points for the last 4 yrs. which will ALL be lost in 18 days!

To clarify, yes, they were very apologetic that their customers were given such short notice and kept saying things like they were "wrong", "this is unacceptable", and so on. They said they'd offer the 12.5 cashback for three months, which would be paid in May. Regarding what they said about the scheme ending, yes they said there's nothing they can do to bring it back or extend it beyond the 25th, sue to arrangements with retailers coming to an end. So that bit is unchanged.

You're sort of right about the three month 'treat' not addressing the lost points. I've had a Trustcard for nearly 30 years, and whilst this scheme hasn't been in existence for all of that time, like many, I'd amassed many thousands of points over the years, allowing me to get 10% off at the likes of Currys and Argos whenever I wanted. (Not that I managed to more than a couple of times!). However, I am currently working out what I can put on the credit card for those three months. Aside from day-to-day spending and food etc., I'm looking at temporarily cancelling a few direct debits, plus I've got a big holiday coming up, which I'll pay in full on the card. So...it may well be possibly for me to put over £10K on the card, earning over £1000 cashback - which is way more than I'm likely to have spent in Currys and Argos in my entire lifetime..

Anyone know if there's a maximum amount of cashback that can be earned?!!
  • priorslee
    priorslee Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Written confirmation received:
    I have applied a further cashback promotion of 12% on retail spend you make between 25 January 2020 and 25 April 2020. This cashback will be calculatedand credited to your credit card in May 2020.
    No mention of any other terms or limits.
  • delboyo
    delboyo Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too have received confirmation in writing that we will be getting 12% extra CASHBACK on all spending over the three months mentioned. This is in addition to the 0.5% under the new scheme.
    What nobody has mentioned is that the 0.5% Cashback for all (other?) Trustcard holders will NOT BE PAID until the END of the calendar year !! What a lovely company they are.
  • Puffer
    Puffer Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    delboyo wrote: »
    I too have received confirmation in writing that we will be getting 12% extra CASHBACK on all spending over the three months mentioned. This is in addition to the 0.5% under the new scheme.
    What nobody has mentioned is that the 0.5% Cashback for all (other?) Trustcard holders will NOT BE PAID until the END of the calendar year !! What a lovely company they are.

Delboyo: did you complain formally to Lloyds, or did it simply write to you as an affected cardholder and confirm the extra cashback?

I'm wondering whether to contact Lloyds if the extra cashback is not an automatic (or semi-automatic) 'award'. (There was nothing on or with my latest statement, just received, apart from the 'standard' 0.5% cashback, payable in December.)
  • Aurora12
    Options
    I received a call last night re: my complaint of early Nov - waiting for the guy to ring me back. This is their verbal 'response' to my complaint of over 2 mths. ago! They STILL haven't provided me with their 10/12/19 "update" letter, which they claim to have sent out. Although nearly 10 wks. has come and gone, they haven't "resolved" anything yet so I still haven't got a deadlock letter from them, should I choose to go to the FOS.
    I raised a few other issues, as well as the change in the scheme.
    I'd asked repeatedly for a split of my points balance between pre/post 9/2015 - to ensure I, at least used (rather than lose) the pre-9/15 points - no one could tell me! On the third call, one helpful agent did try calculating it but said it was only a 'guestimate' - as "that information was not available". I redeemed those points he'd estimated, believing the remaining balance was all usable up until 24/1/20. However, when I got an updated balance today, I'd "lost" a further 600+ points in the space of the last 2 days before 1/12/19! I was told they, too, had expired PRIOR to 9/15 (?) - in other words, the "estimate" I'd been given was well understated! They're gonna' contact me next week to discuss.
    I still feel Lloyds reproachable behaviour is totally unacceptable - and is an unfair act by them! I believe they should've carried out the following minimum actions BEFORE cancelling the scheme :- A) contact their customers BEFORE arranging with the stores to cancel the scheme, B) When writing to notify customers of their PROPOSED changes, give them all 2 figures - the "pre-9/15" and "post 9/15" points figures at that point
    To remove such a longstanding scheme - with LESS THAN 2 mths. notice of a change to the T&C's - and only a 3.5 mth. notice MAX. period of actually implementing it - when we'd always had 48 mths. in which to use our points, is as bad as PPI mis-selling!
    Those were EARNED points for previous loyalty, which many of us purposely saved up in order to use towards a large purchase at a time to suit us. It's tantamount to them, effectively, taking away the interest we've already earned on a savings account which we haven't withdrawn on for ages (whilst saving up!).
    I think those negative commenters on this forum topic might NOT be so negative if they saw it in that vein!
    The FAIR and PROPORTIONATE way they should deal with this is 1) treat ALL customers EQUALLY - including those who haven't formally complained [some haven't, after being put off by reading some of the comments here and feeling they'll get nowhere!] - NOT just offer sweeteners to complainants to stop them from going to the FOS. 2) Since it's unreasonable to expect all to use up ALL of their points within the 3.5 months from notification until 24/1/20, [especially since many CAN'T because their Credit Limit isn't sufficiently high to do so - and they probably can't afford to right after Christmas!], a REASONABLE policy would be to CONVERT all of those points to the Cashback scheme, BUT at the 1% value at which they'd earned them! (rather than the newly introduced 0.5%).
    Had they considered this, I believe they'd have saved themselves an awful lot of bad press, saved an enormous amount of time which will be spent in actioning the complaints, and, the bottom line MAY well have been that it cost them less overall!
    Being offered 12.5% cashback for 3 FUTURE months is likely to mean those offered it will spend as close to their credit limit (or seek an increase in it?) as they can - or buy all of their extended families' purchases for the next 3 mths.
    And does that mean NON-complainants just lose out altogether?
    I, personally, have just spent c.£12K on home renovations, which WON'T fall within the "relevant 3 mth. period", SHOULD I have a similar offer made to me.
    If Lloyds had been fair and transparent from the outset and either i) given a more acceptable period in which to redeem our points at the original 1% earned value - or - ii) automatically converted them to the equivalent Cashback at 1%, they would NOT have lost the trust of their customers in the way in which is obvious.
  • Aurora12
    Options
    Oh, and the reason Lloyds gave for NOT including our VALID points balance on our December statements was ... "we're heavily regulated and can't include TWO schemes on the statement (!)
    Why NOT?
  • delboyo
    Options
    Puffer wrote: »
    Delboyo: did you complain formally to Lloyds, or did it simply write to you as an affected cardholder and confirm the extra cashback?

I'm wondering whether to contact Lloyds if the extra cashback is not an automatic (or semi-automatic) 'award'. (There was nothing on or with my latest statement, just received, apart from the 'standard' 0.5% cashback, payable in December.)

Puffer : I contacted them originally on 0345 606 2372 to register my complaint and subsequently had more correspondence and then phone calls on 0800 092 2697. No idea if the extra cashback will be an automatic payment. I doubt it very much.
  • delboyo
    Options

22.6.2020    Just to update you all.
    Managed to retrieve almost £150 via the 12% Cashback offer.  Now just have to wait until the end of the year for my 0.5% to reach my account. I called them and got the credit amount transferred to my bank - First Direct.  I suggest anyone not with them transfers immediately. I've been with them since they started.  They know how to treat customers. Top the Customer Service polls every year.  
  • Aurora12
    Aurora12 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Completely agree with you re: FD.I had my mortgage with them previously - EXCELLENT Customer Svc!. And, THEY treat their customers fairly! I got my 12% back from Lloyds the other week, too - BUT, I remain absolutely disgusted that it took them 3 mths. from "giving us less than 2 mths notice" - for them to admit that they should've given us 6 mths! I spent c.£13K on the house in Dec/Jan which, HAD I known then how they intended to deal with their completely unacceptable, unjust behaviour, obviously, I'd have held fire. So, I'm down c. £1500 on those purchases (at 12%!)
    What's STILL unacceptable is that those who complained in Oct. had their complaints automatically "closed down" - since Lloyds staff maintained they HAD given them sufficient notice. NONE of those customers will since have been contacted in Jan. with the Lloyds 12% offer - and, no doubt, will still be unaware that it was made to those of us who persisted! I had 2 separate complaints in October closed down; the 2nd one was because, after an hour on the phone, I physically had to go to work. The agent had already been "writing up" my complaint for 10 mins. and told me that if I didn't stay on the line for an unknown further period 'til she finished, she'd close it down - and she did!
    This is about as low as Lloyds can get!
    All of the mega profits the Cos' have made are continuously required to pay all of their fines - e.g. the latest £63m!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback