PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 31 October 2019

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 31 October 2019 at 7:15AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 31 October 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, dry but air is cooler.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS getting ready for work also, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying first cuppa and my porridge whilst on here. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms and beans. I meant to get the meat out for a slow cooker casserole, but have forgotten so will need to organise something else.

I'll be heading into town this morning to visit the bank and building society, then home to get on with the "to do" list.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Good morning, seems damp this morning, no frost.
    Thanks NMLC for starting.

I didn't have a very good night's sleep last night, and once I saw the clock creeping on to 6am thought I might as well get up.

I've got a 9am appointment at Specsavers and a little bit of shopping to do while I'm out, then back out this afternoon for card making.
    Might nip up to Aldi for dried fruit, I need it for the Christmas cake, and mincemeat. I made two puddings yesterday, so they can go in the landing cupboard for now.

That's it really - hope everyone has as good a day as they can.
    Take care folks xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. A dull start here but no frost, no wind and no rain. Just miserable looking.

The DGDs were quite late to bed so I am hopeful of them sleeping in a bit this morning. All is peaceful at the moment.

We have an unexpected treat tonight! The girls' dance principal has been given free tickets for unbooked seats to see Mamma Mia the musical at Bradford Alhambra and offered them to any mums who wanted them. DD got 4 for us and the 2 youngest. Eldest has plans in place for Halloween already! (We have had seats booked for mid November for months but free tickets were too good to turn down!)

My BF saw the show when it opened in London in Sept and she says it's the same cast and the show was brilliant. So we are looking forward to it. More so because we are seeing it for free!!

Pizzas have been requested for lunch so that's easily solved!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies and sad. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Feeling a bit tired at the moment, FIL has telecare and keeps falling asleep with the alarm round his neck, rolls onto it and sets it off. It's safe, it unclips when pulled so he won't strangle himself in his sleep, lol. But as he's asleep, he doesn't hear the company talk to him on the intercom thing (gone blank, can't remember what it's called!) so we get phone calls at silly times. A few weeks ago, the company rang all three of the contact numbers but none of us were home, so they rang emergency services. The fire brigade turned up to find that his walker was just out of reach so he'd pressed the alarm for help! He didn't speak on the intercom, just waited for the company to send someone out. He refuses to do anything for himself and is acting like a toddler most of the time, one brother had a word with the doctor and he's been re-assessed – his meds double-checked (all fine) and there's no sign of dementia. He flatly refuses to move to somewhere with full time care, or have anyone live in the house. I think something drastic is going to have to happen, maybe mr tru and his brothers have to refuse to do anything to force the issue and make him realise that he can't keep doing this? That seems very controlling though.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Anyway, on a lighter note! We have foxes round here and Scamp loves to follow their scent, trouble is we're walking along the roads so obviously I can't let him off the lead. He forgets that I'm attached to him and merrily pulls me along while he's in tracking mode. New lesson – he can sniff along wherever the scent takes him as long as he leaves my arm in it's socket. I need all the prayers, good vibes and happy thoughts you can spare please – I think this is one battle I'm not going to win :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mum is popping round for coffee this morning, I hope she brings chocolate, I really need some today :D The shopping is coming too, the first bagless delivery. I have a couple of boxes and large bags ready by the door but I just know Scamp is going to take offence at the stranger at the door while I faff with the unloading. I'm pinning all my hopes on a peanut butter filled Kong to keep him calm :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not much else happening today, I might try to get some sleep on the sofa this afternoon.[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Good morning,

Happy Halloween!

I had a super productive day in work yesterday but towards the end my stomach was making noises I'd never heard the likes of - and it wasn't hunger. So I didn't go to the gym and went home to make a recomendation from a follower of my diary. Very nice it was, too. Watched GBBO, a deserved winner I think. He's been consistently in the top few almost every week.

I also had some back and fourth with my letting agents here in Manchester. My agreement is due for renewal and given that in the last month I've applied for 2 jobs which are based in London, I won't want to commit to a 12 month agreement (and be liable for the remaining months if I need to leave early). So I'm trying to negotiate it down to a rolling contract but I'm not sure the landlord will accept that. We'll see.
    Spends £0
    NSD 11/17

Woke this morning feeling shattered. Opted to rely on my backup alarm, which give me an extra 20 minutes, only to wake an hour and half later to see it was only due to ring on Fridays! So no gym this morning. End of the month signals pay day and our monthly works dinner out. I think we're going to our local Nando's. So no NSD today for me. I'm also going to nip into the local markets to see if I can find an Xmas gift for my gran, too.

TA - Well done on the free tickets!
    Tru - That sounds like a frustrating situation regarding your FIL and have you got one of those extendable leads for Scamp? Might give your shoulder joint a bit of a break haha
    Dave - Welcome!
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

I have the rest of this week off Im using up my final bits of holiday for the year and having a long weekend and its lovely not having to rush around and a chance to rest my feet.

I have a wash on the go but it will have to go in the td as its drizzling here and very cold.

Im going to do a bit of tidying this morning and take the pup to the park then light the fire and watch a film and probably snooze this afternoon - bliss !

Dinner tonight is some chilli which I made last week and froze and I will do some baked sweet potatoes and salad with it so no great effort.

Mehefin (sure ive spelt that wrong!) glad you have decided to get the other horse she well help to heal you and it helps the widowed lady too, been meaning to ask did your DS move away with the controlling girl ? big hugs to you all xx

Right I need some breakfast.

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning folks.

TA - what a treat! I can imagine you all singing along.

Tru - ouch...dogs can't seem to resist fox poo and love to roll in it. Think the only remedy to the smell is tomato ketchup.

My post-op shoes arrived yesterday. I've bought a size larger to accommodate any swollen feet. And the W iltshire delivery came too. Later in the afternoon I started a food order for next weekend so that stocks are high before I go in.

Think things will be quiet here today, the planned appointment has been postponed until Monday. I will have to do some shopping as the fridge is practically empty. Once the frost on the car has melted I'll go out.

Now, thoughts to those struggling. Happy Thursday / Halloween / Samhain to everyone.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Speky - your contract will automatically become a rolling one if you don't sign a renewal. Your landlord has no say in it. Mind you, he may then issue a S21. Please go over to the housing board and read the sticky there.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67759913&postcount=4
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

Steve has visitors today so sausages rolls need making, boat need bottoming.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all from a wet and murky mehefinland

Well stable all clean and spick and span for new incumbent when she comes. It was not the easiest of tasks and both Mrs M and I were very subdued last night. It was/is for the best though. I often think that people who don't have animals don't understand the trauma we go through.The only analogy I can think of is losing a close family member ( but you have had to make the decision to end their life) . Its brutal.

Anyway, moving swiftly on I have Stevie2shoes this morning to do Scoobymare's hinds so will find out more about the lovely lady who is letting us have her mare.

Yes DS moved out last month and is living with the Toxic Troll in Shaftesbury. He is working in Porton Down Science park so has a reasonable commute every day. Think it might have come home to him how much of a cushy time he had when living at home. It has certainly hit his pocket!! She of course is not working so he is paying for everything. Time will tell.

Better get a wriggle on so hugs and spoons to those in need.

Mehefin

anyone seen Nanny recently?
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Good morning, it is a strange day here, cold but with a bit of a breeze and some sun so I've stuck some washing on the line and am hoping for the best. No problem with clothes and small stuff but the bedding and the bigger towels are a bit of a challenge.

Mehefin it must have been very hard cleaning out but perhaps it will be easier looking at a stable with an inhabitant rather than an empty one though not at first. I used to see my little dogs for a long time after they died and still miss them after many years. Hope the toxic troll detoxes a bit.

Tru, that fox poo attraction is the pits, one of my dogs used to try to eat it and I could remove her from it if we were out on a walk but the foxes sometimes used to come and poo in our garden so I had no chance there.

Speky we are in a rental and the landlord agreed to a 12 month contract with a break clause after 4 months, perhaps that would be something you could consider?

I planted daffodils and other bulbs earlier this month and some of the ones in containers are coming up, not the ones that went directly into the ground. I'm hoping they won't try to flower in really icy weather.

Hope everyone has a good day and welcome to Dave.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport