Ted Baker sneaky returns policy

Options
Don't be fooled into thinking Ted Baker returns are free, despite no mention of a charge in their T&Cs or Returns Policy. Instead they've (deliberately?) hidden this information deep within their site. If you know where to go it's 4 clicks away from the homepage: Returns > How to return > FAQ > How do I > Scroll to the very last line of the paragraph.

Appreciate it's only £3, but in my view it's deliberate and sneaky. I feel this information should be more prominent particularly in a sector where returns are high, making it more relevant.

Basically I'm calling this out because I don't like the way that they've tried to deceive.

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Don't be fooled into thinking Ted Baker returns are free, despite no mention of a charge in their T&Cs or Returns Policy. Instead they've (deliberately?) hidden this information deep within their site. If you know where to go it's 4 clicks away from the homepage: Returns > How to return > FAQ > How do I > Scroll to the very last line of the paragraph.

Appreciate it's only £3, but in my view it's deliberate and sneaky. I feel this information should be more prominent particularly in a sector where returns are high, making it more relevant.

Basically I'm calling this out because I don't like the way that they've tried to deceive.

Did it mention anywhere that there were free returns?
  • fred_jackson
    Options
    Did you buy online? If you did, I thought it was EU law that the seller has to pay for the return if they are unsuitable e.g did not fit, not as described etc.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Did you buy online? If you did, I thought it was EU law that the seller has to pay for the return if they are unsuitable e.g did not fit, not as described etc.

Yes for faulty goods.
    Depends on T&C's for change of mind, in which Ted Baker do charge.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,612 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 October 2019 at 10:25PM
    Options
    There are problems with their returns policy.

They state they aren't liable for returns that don't arrive but are bound to refund within 14 days of proof of return being provided

They also state they won't accept returns outside their condition requirements but can't do this. There is the provision to reduce the refund but they can't do this because they haven't provided the correct information.

However free returns aren't mentioned anywhere and you are bound to pay the return costs if you are informed by email or on paper with the goods that you are to cover the cost (a link to website is not accepted as providing the information via durable means).
  • Paul_DNAP
    Options
    I would not have said they were hiding anything, their FAQ and help sections seem logically laid out and did indeed supply the answer you were looking for.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • martinski99
    Options
    You're right the info was there if you know to look in the FAQs. Having read the T&Cs and Return policy (which is where the contract is laid out) and seeing that you can use CollectPlus but with no mention of a charge, why would you then look in FAQs?
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    You're right the info was there if you know to look in the FAQs. Having read the T&Cs and Return policy (which is where the contract is laid out) and seeing that you can use CollectPlus but with no mention of a charge, why would you then look in FAQs?

Does it say in the returns policy and t&c's that the returns are free?
  • martinski99
    Options
    No, it doesn't mention any charge or deduction.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

No that is the UK Consumer Regulations 2015
    Life in the slow lane
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    No that is the UK Consumer Regulations 2015

I think you mean the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - which is transposed from EU Directives. You'll be hard pushed to find any consumer right that isn't because of EU law.

OP, the default position is that the trader is liable for return costs. However, they can pass liability for return costs to you providing they complied with their obligations under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. Which includes providing certain information to you in a durable medium before you are bound by the contract. Information such as you will be liable for return costs, that you have the right to cancel, how to exercise that right to cancel etc.

Information on a website is not durable.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback