Sim only pay the difference mid-month

mrochester
mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Hi all.

Is there any sim only deal that allows you to pay the difference mid-way through your monthly allowance to upgrade to the next package up (or higher)?

I’m thinking most of the time I would get away with a lower allowance but when I’m on holiday I may end up using more but I don’t want to decide before I need it whether I want to buy that extra allowance.

Many thanks.

M

Comments

• cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Both Sky Mobile and Virgin media do Data Roll over monthly sims. In the case of Sky (which uses the O2 network) you can roll over the data from month to month for up to 3 years. So for exampled you can get a no call and text lims 2GB sim for £7 a month and 6GB is £12.
    In the case of VM (uses the EE network)he data will only roll over to the next month. VM though has a cap of 1500 mins on their lower end monthy sims, 5000 mins on their 15GB £13 a month one.
    Not sure what happens if you holiday abroad though!
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Smarty or Voxi?
  • mrochester
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    Smarty or Voxi?

Voxi would be the natural choice because I’m currently a Vodafone customer.

But can you, for instance, buy the £10 package, use all 6gb in 15 days, then pay an extra £5 and get an extra 9gb of data (the difference between the first and second package) for the remainder of your 30 day period?

Or would you have to buy the £10 package, use all 6gb of data and then have to pay another £10 for another 6gb?
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 October 2019 at 4:20PM
    mrochester wrote: »
    Voxi would be the natural choice because I’m currently a Vodafone customer.

But can you, for instance, buy the £10 package, use all 6gb in 15 days, then pay an extra £5 and get an extra 9gb of data (the difference between the first and second package) for the remainder of your 30 day period?

Or would you have to buy the £10 package, use all 6gb of data and then have to pay another £10 for another 6gb?

It doesn't work that way

If you run out of data, you can spend £3 for extra 1GB data for Voxi
    https://help.voxi.co.uk/Plans-and-extras/1040530192/What-happens-if-I-run-out-of-data-on-my-plan.htm

alternatively, you buy a dual sim phone. Get a PAYG SIM like Three or Giffgaff. Spend £10 for 4GB - 6GB data.
  • mrochester
    It's a shame no network allows that as it could be a pretty good selling point!
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Not exactly what you are looking for (not sure if anyone offers it in that shape), but essentially helpful for your scenario, have first hand experience with both:

Smarty (runs on the Three network) - basically you get refund for data you didn't use the previous month, so just go for the higher package to begin with and get refunds each month that you don't use it.

GiffGaff (runs on the O2 network) - if you run out of data, you can start your next month's pack (goody bag) early

Most networks will charge you over the odds for just per MB/GB data past your allowance.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mrochester wrote: »
    It's a shame no network allows that as it could be a pretty good selling point!
    Smarty give a discount on unused data - their plans are effectively £5 + £1.25 per GB and give discount the following month on unused data e.g. you could have a higher plan and get cash back and on those months you need more you get last cash back. You also buy extra GB at £1.25 if you want.

Of course it uses the three network, web based CS, and although they have promo at moment "triple data" e.f. 12GB for £10 instead of 4GB the discount is only on the first 4GB as the ret is a promo.

I believe the no contract sim only do allow you to start next month early or move up and then move down
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    A lot of SIM only deals are 12 months contracts now, so not sure you can do this.

Try plusnet, I think they are 1 months contracts, last time I looked
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    nic_c wrote: »
    Smarty give a discount on unused data - their plans are effectively £5 + £1.25 per GB and give discount the following month on unused data e.g. you could have a higher plan and get cash back and on those months you need more you get last cash back. You also buy extra GB at £1.25 if you want.

Of course it uses the three network, web based CS, and although they have promo at moment "triple data" e.f. 12GB for £10 instead of 4GB the discount is only on the first 4GB as the ret is a promo.

I believe the no contract sim only do allow you to start next month early or move up and then move down
    What I hate about Smarty is that, unlike many other PAYG providers you can't even receive calls if you don't pay each month. So it's essentially a 1m rolling contract. Even if you are willing to ignore the atrocious coverage of the 3 network (speaking as a 3 customer), they don't offer WiFi calling, which is the only reason I still tolerate 3 as my provider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure