Limiting Post Edit Time

Options
One of the things that really annoys me is people who come along, pour their heart out, then proceed to "delete" the thread an hour or so later by editing their post to remove the content, and think they're being clever by doing this.

Usually they do this because the follow-up posts aren't what they want to hear. A recent thread about somebody who lost most of their child/family benefit income because their daughter was selfish enough to grow up and turn 18 is a good example of this.

Fortunately some posters have cottoned onto this and if they get to the thread early enough, will quote it in full in their reply (if not, they can get it out of a search engine's cache).

From what I see on the forum I can only see one exception that would need to edit their post, SuperSaver2 who does the Regular Savers thread - that and obviously the moderators, guides and whoever else (there may be other good posters with legitimate needs to edit their initial thread posts). In an ideal world you wouldn't be able to edit your thread just because you didn't like the answers you received. Sorry, that's life, being told things you don't like.

Do you try and hide yourself in the CAB or the jobcentre or wherever when they tell you something you don't like? You don't try to erase evidence that you've been there so why do people think its okay to do it online?

Rant over :)

Comments

• or maybe some people fear they've given too much identifying info? what does it matter anyway? it doesn't hurt anyone else
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    From what I see on the forum I can only see one exception that would need to edit their post, SuperSaver2 who does the Regular Savers thread - that and obviously the moderators, guides and whoever else (there may be other good posters with legitimate needs to edit their initial thread posts). In an ideal world you wouldn't be able to edit your thread...

There are loads of times that editing threads is used legitimately in the Competitions Section. These tend to be new links/questions/answers/terms etc. In fact there is a whole sub-forum where the first post of every thread is regularly edited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure