Insurance claims FOB-off remedies

In the event of a claim on one's buildings / contents policy it is common practice for the insurance company to send round an "assessor" - to assess the validity of the claim and the extent of the damage. It is no secret that the assessor's task, as a representative of the co, is to "negotiate" to minimize the liability of the insurer rather than to take a totally objective view. If the assessment is judged to be unfairly biased, is there a practical way in which the insured householder can get a truly independent view as a basis for a fair settlement with the company? Without going to the hassle and extent of getting the Financial Ombudsman involved (who I suspect don't really want to get bogged down in the nitty gritty of individual claims).
Telegraph Sam

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    FSO is the independent party. How many layers of independent conflict resolutions do you need?

I don't have personal experience, but a friend of mine who had some leaks damaging ceiling and flooring had the assessor award about double to what it actually costed him to repair the damage.

Do you already have a specific case, or is it all hypothetical?
  • Preferably as few (layers) as possible.and excluding the FSO for anything other than major miscarriages.

I had a claim turned down last year but in the end just accepted the "assessor's" judgement. A friend of mine had a similar experience in the past and has now had a large "incident" over the weekend and is fearing a repetition. Hypothetical or not it would be good to know where one stands and what if any recourse is available.
    Telegraph Sam
  • You'd probably need to exhaust the insurer's complaints procedure and then go to the FOS for an independent adjudication. I've had no trouble with assessors in the past.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Typically, an Insurer will appoint a Loss Adjuster.

The claimant has the right to appoint a Loss Assessor.
    What is the difference between a Loss Adjuster and a Loss Assessor?

If it’s the first time you have to make an insurance claim, there’s so much to take on board. Part of this is working out who does what in the claims process. One of the most difficult things to understand is the difference between Loss Adjusters and Loss Assessors.

Loss Adjusters and Loss Assessors are both insurance claim professionals, however, there is one key difference in their roles during the insurance claim process:

Loss Adjusters are employed by the insurance company but they are supposed to remain independent.
    Loss Assessors work for you, the policyholder. They are independent professionals who are employed by you to protect your interests.
    A Loss Adjuster’s job is to adjust the claim presented to them by the policyholder or their Loss Assessor. The Loss Adjuster is paid by the insurer to decide what will be paid for – and what will not.

An independent Loss Assessor, such as Morgan Clark, will take over the responsibility to compile and present your insurance claim. We will deal with the insurer’s Loss Adjuster on your behalf, and will protect your interests every step of the way so you receive the very best settlement under the terms of your insurance policy.
    https://www.morganclark.co.uk/about-insurance-claims/loss-adjusters/
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Thanks I believe that is the info that I was in need of, correcting also my confusing the roles of Adjuster and Assessor. I wish I had known about this previously. I would now expect any hassle to come from the Adjuster and not from the Assessor.
    Telegraph Sam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport