New thread in this forum - Disabled discounts

Options
Hi

I have just posted on the rail savings forum bit about disabled rail cards and it has occured to me that it would be good to have a seperate forum on Disability. As a disabled person what really really annoys me is even if there are benefits or discounts to be obtained nobody actually tells you about them so you just find out by word of mouth or by luck (For example - how many people know if you have a Blue Badge you don't have to pay to go through the Dartford Crossing? - I have payed SOOO many times and only found out when asking for a receipt for a work trip!).

There are so many things that are harder if you have a disability my theory is that you should make the most of any benefits or discounts that there may be - it would benefit all of us if we could post them on a designated forum.

Best wishes

Should Martin set up a specific forum for disabled moneysavers? 18 votes

Yes - definitely
83% 15 votes
No - it's covered in other area's of the site
16% 3 votes

Comments

• louidog
    louidog Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    So if you are a Blue Badge holder do you need an exemption card or something then for the Dartford bridge crossing??
    My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
    -Erma Bombeck-
    ~ Member of the MSE Celebdaq Minileague ~
  • stonsey
    Options
    No - just show your badge and away you go!

S
  • louidog
    louidog Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that....hubbys badge is clearly displayed in windscreen but no one has ever told us that as we go through!
    My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
    -Erma Bombeck-
    ~ Member of the MSE Celebdaq Minileague ~
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stonsey wrote: »
    how many people know if you have a Blue Badge you don't have to pay to go through the Dartford Crossing?
    It's the same with nearly all toll bridges/tunnels etc (the only dishonourable exception, to my knowledge, being the Tamar Bridge).

Plus, of course, if you are VED-exempt you don't need to pay the London congestion charge.
  • pamplemousse
    Options
    just thought l would mention it in case any one out there doesnt know. in london people wth a blue badge do not have to pay the the congestion charge, they have to register their car wth them
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just thought l would mention it in case any one out there doesnt know. in london people wth a blue badge do not have to pay the the congestion charge, they have to register their car wth them
    They have to register their car and pay a £10 setup charge!

Edit: Moderator, can this not be moved back to a useful discussion forum? Apart from the poll, it seems to have developed into a dicsussion on the OP's topic of disabled discounts, which won't be seen or contributed to on here.

Maybe it needs splitting? A poll on here and the discussion somewhere useful?
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You can register 2 (or it might be 3 - can't remember now) cars for exemption from the London Congestion Charge per blue badge.
    As regards the Dartford toll, it's not sufficient just to show your blue badge, I did this when I was taking my mum through there last time and we still had to pay - I'm racking my brains as to why though!
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi stonesy,

There is iinformation on the Benefits, Tax Credits and Jobseeking boards but a special thread would be useful for people. If you contact the board guide he could move your thread over there. Contact sra
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Actually, my fault as I shifted this thread from the Silver Savers Board as although the OP says a "new thread in this forum" I took it to mean a new board in the forum.

As disabled discounts don't just affect the over 50's I thought the suggestion deserved more views than the Silver Savers Board but personally I'm not sure where a sub forum for this would go.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes it's just a matter of having the idea and asking or doing a search, either here or elsewhere, though obviously it would be useful to find a way to draw attention to the possibilities

eg Mersey Tunnel: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=540153l
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure