Suggested Canada itinerary

Options
1235»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We flew to Calgary, hired a car and drove up to Banff and Jasper. Visited the icefields on the way.

Took the VIA train to Prince Rupert. It wasn't a tourist train as such then. More a service train.Lunch was brought onto the train at one of rural stopsin the middle of nowhere. Just a track and a4x4 waiting.

It was not the luxury train like the RockyMountaineer but still very enjoyable.There was an overnight stop at Prince George.

We then took the ferry down the Inside passage to Port Hardy and then hired a car to travel down to Victoria .

From Victoria we took the ferry to Vancouver and picked up the Rocky Mountaineer to Calgary. Flew home from Calgary.
    The Rocky Moutaineer was Gold Leaf and was excellent. Service was fist class and food of the highest standard.

In all we spent 17 days with various overnight and longer stays.

Two planes, two hired cars, two ferries and two trains- a holiday of a lifetime.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I’ve no idea what you’re referring to, but I’ve never had a problem at any of the border crossings.
    There can be a bit of a queue, but if you‘re prepared, have any relevant paperwork ready in case they ask for it and aren’t carrying anything that’s prohibited from export/import across the border, there shouldn’t be any problem.

Therer was a family in the news over the past few weeks, called the Connors who crossed the border mistakenly and for all I know are still in jail.:o
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 October 2019 at 2:07PM
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Therer was a family in the news over the past few weeks, called the Connors who crossed the border mistakenly and for all I know are still in jail.:o

These?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50067575

Sounds like they may not have been as innocent as they claimed.

A British family detained in the US after crossing the border from Canada intentionally entered the country illegally, officials have said.
    They said the vehicle was captured on video "slowly and deliberately" driving through a ditch to enter the US.
    Two adults in the vehicle had previously been denied travel authorisation to the US, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said.

But CBP said that remote video surveillance captured the vehicle crossing a ditch before pulling back on to a road in Lynden, Washington state, and continuing west. The group was pulled over by a border patrol agent shortly after.

The occupants were arrested for illegally entering the US without inspection. During processing, records revealed the two adults that had previously been denied access to the US, CBP said on Tuesday.

The article also says that they were all repatriated to the UK.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    We flew to Calgary, hired a car and drove up to Banff and Jasper. Visited the icefields on the way.

Took the VIA train to Prince Rupert. It wasn't a tourist train as such then. More a service train.Lunch was brought onto the train at one of rural stopsin the middle of nowhere. Just a track and a4x4 waiting.

It was not the luxury train like the RockyMountaineer but still very enjoyable.There was an overnight stop at Prince George.

We then took the ferry down the Inside passage to Port Hardy and then hired a car to travel down to Victoria .

From Victoria we took the ferry to Vancouver and picked up the Rocky Mountaineer to Calgary. Flew home from Calgary.
    The Rocky Moutaineer was Gold Leaf and was excellent. Service was fist class and food of the highest standard.

In all we spent 17 days with various overnight and longer stays.

Two planes, two hired cars, two ferries and two trains- a holiday of a lifetime.

That sounds wonderful. We have decided to do The Rocky Mountaineer Gold leaf. As you say it is the holiday of a lifetime and will only be doing it once. Lots of good reviews online. Our agent has built a trip to Victoria into our itinerary as well. We will also be staying in Banff and doing the icefields.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That sounds wonderful. We have decided to do The Rocky Mountaineer Gold leaf. As you say it is the holiday of a lifetime and will only be doing it once. Lots of good reviews online. Our agent has built a trip to Victoria into our itinerary as well. We will also be staying in Banff and doing the icefields.

Just seen your thread - DW and I did the Rocky Mountaineer (round trip Vancouver - Jasper / Banff - Vancouver) in August, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good views in Gold Leaf, nice food and wine, excellent and informative hosts. The best bit was the open carriage end - no glass in the way of photography, and no problem going there if something interesting came up during a meal!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure