Suggested Canada itinerary

Options

Comments

• no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just wanted to add that we had meals at both the skylon tower at Niagra falls and the C N Tower in Toronto and can honestly say that the later was far superior. The food at the skylon was meadiocre and we waited an hour for it, we got the impression that the staff weren't happy that we had only soft drinks - one of which was served in a glass with a huge jagged chip on the rim.

We also booked a few things through groupon - one of the best was a champagne flight (minus the champagne for us though) in a small plane around the Toronto area from Billy Bishop airport, although we had a slight delay, instead of being in the plane with another couple we had the plane to ourselves and DH was chuffed to be co-pilot. We always take a look at Groupon and have never been disappointed with anything that we have booked for whilst on our holidays (currently checking out the Boston area and what we can book for our upcoming hol) - here in the UK is another matter though!
    Fibro-Warrior
  • sazaccount
    Options
    Hi,

I highly recommend going over to Victoria, even if its for an over night its a really pretty city. I'm guessing funds aren't too much of an issue so you can do the V2V boat its a really nice boat (I've only admired it on when its in the harbor!) I did look at coming back to Vancouver on it but the "regular" ferry is about $20 including the bus $17.50 each way for the ferry and $2.50 each way for the bus from the terminal to Victoria (I have a travel pass for vancouver so didn't count the bus and skytrain from my house to the terminal) takes about 7 hours compared to 4 on V2V

Oh and you can also fly from vancouver to victoria on a sea plane I would love to but its like $200 each way

Whistler is really nice as well its an hour and a half/2 hour bus from downtown Vancouver you can get a bus for I think it was $40 return when are you looking at coming in sept as the first monday is Labor day bank holiday and the summer free bus rides around whistler village finish.

There is another train that runs from Jasper to Vancouver its not a posh or anywhere near as expensive as the Rockies mountaineer. Have a look on seat61 the guy recently did London to Victoria bu cruise and train epic journey

If you want any suggestions for what to see in and around Vancouver let me know, I highly recommend going up grouse mountain (personally not done it yet as its a bit expensive but I can get a locals pass now :T)
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some great suggestions there so thanks all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the Rocky Mountaineer I would recommend Silver Leaf. Whatever grade you are on they feed you umpteen times a day, but if you are on Gold Leaf you go down to the lower saloon for your meals, from where the views are less good. In Silver you get massive panoramic windows at all times.

If staying in Banff, which is a really nice town, I recommend the Fox Hotel for its unique cave-spa-pool-thing.

We also stayed in the Fairmont in Lake Louise and were pretty disappointed to be honest.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can only speak of visiting and touring BC by car in 1982, so quite behind the times. Mate and I flew to Vancouver by Lufthansa 747 (wonderful experience on its own) We had bought Motel vouchers and worked out a route, but that didn't last long after our first night in Vancouver and a conversation with a middle aged local couple. Always best to speak to locals! We spent two weeks touring BC, drove through the second night and most of the day to Dawson creek, south to Prince George,Kamloops, Vernon, Penticton, Kelowna, dipped into the USA and met the world's nosiest US border guard. Then back to Vancouver for the last day, across to the Island, back to the airport, handed in a very tired Nissan and flew home.
    Outstanding sights everywhere: the Fraser River valley was unbelievable. On our way through there we came across some Native Canucks trying to shoot a dog on a mountain track. We didn't stop! We stayed in a different motel every night and each one was comfortable, with a restaurant that served great food. Canadians were great to us and every single establishment had a large portrait of the Queen and Prince Philip. Well, it is British Columbia!
    We frequently turned off at lakes and river crossings, almost always so quiet and deserted, sat in the car eating packed lunches with the windows open (looking out for *bears!) and listening to unfamiliar bird and other wildlife calls.
    I would advise anyone who would like to do the same to study the huge, often deserted, empty distances involved and speak to locals: They were shocked at our drive up to Dawson Creek. We certainly slept that night, especially after a huge steak!
    Beautiful, friendly country. Wish I could go back. As a mechanic, I wandered into a working garage in Kelowna and spoke to the owner, who offered me a job. What might have been...

*Met one, a massive Grizzly. Dropped a piece of meat for him and left!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Our experience of Niagara Falls was over 20 years ago but our immediate impression was "Blackpool with a waterfall". Stating the obvious, the falls are the attraction, everything else was cheap tat. We didn't have time to visit Niagara on the Lake and the surrounding area but do understand that is very pretty.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 October 2019 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Always best to speak to locals! We spent two weeks touring BC, drove through the second night and most of the day to Dawson creek, south to Prince George,Kamloops, Vernon, Penticton, Kelowna, dipped into the USA and met the world's nosiest US border guard.

I'd be wary about approaching the US border after what happened to that family a few weeks ago!:eek:

Having said that, if I was in Eastern Canada I'd like to visit the cross-border library where you can cross into the US (but only for the duration of the visit).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sazaccount wrote: »

There is another train that runs from Jasper to Vancouver its not a posh or anywhere near as expensive as the Rockies mountaineer. Have a look on seat61 the guy recently did London to Victoria bu cruise and train epic journey

More on trains: I just received an email from Mark who runs Seat 61. This is what he says:
    "I have a route map for Canada that clearly shows that VIA and Rocky Mountaineer both run Jasper-Kamloops-Vancouver and I've recently added a note on the Rocky Mountaineer page Jasper-Vancouver section that reminds people that VIA runs that route too and is significantly cheaper - though part is at night, RM is all-daylight with a hotel. The Banff-Kamloops-Vancouver route is more scenic, and is the original 1885 trans-continental route, and I say that clearly too."
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree that one night at Niagara is plenty. The falls are truly breathtaking but the 'resort' is very tacky.
    I can also recommend Niagara on the Lake and the ferry ride to Vancouver Island. Victoria is a very nice little city. Toronto is also fabulous. We loved Montreal, Ottawa and St John as well, but they are a bit out of your way!
    My wife is desperate to do the Rocky Mountaineer one day, so I've been interested to read some of the negative opinions.
    Canada is a lovely country to visit, with a very different feel about it compared to the US.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    I'd be wary about approaching the US border after what happened to that family a few weeks ago!:eek:

I’ve no idea what you’re referring to, but I’ve never had a problem at any of the border crossings.
    There can be a bit of a queue, but if you‘re prepared, have any relevant paperwork ready in case they ask for it and aren’t carrying anything that’s prohibited from export/import across the border, there shouldn’t be any problem.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business