Warning - the booking sites that may rank hotels higher if they get commission

Options
At least eight major booking sites may rank hotels higher in their default search results if they receive commission for reservations, MoneySavingExpert.com has found. If you're booking a hotel online, beware - you need to keep your wits about you to be sure you're getting the best deal...
Read the full story:
'Warning - the booking sites that may rank hotels higher if they get commission'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    And this comes as a surprise??
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    And in other breaking news, the Pope is catholic and bears sh*t in the woods...
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think that will surprise many. A more devious trick that Trivago employs is that if you sort by price on Trivago, it doesn't sort hotels by the cheapest price it can find, but instead by the cheapest price of its preferred affiliates. Significant savings can be had by just scrolling a bit further down the list (up in price) and keeping a close eye on the "More details from..." pop-down.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I always sort by price anyway as the default results have always really been sponsored results
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure