Looking for new TV box

in TV MoneySaving
12 replies 2.1K views
Emmaaar22Emmaaar22 Forumite
728 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
In short I am looking for a replacement TV box as my one has now...broken down. However, It`s trickier as I first imagined. With all of these sticks and boxes with this add on and add that on it`s muddled my brain.

We don`t want to be spending a fortune on one, As long as it has the main channels. I would also be interested in looking at Netflix etc.

We was looking at the NOWTV one with free sky sports, movies and so for the first 2 months, However it transpires that you would need to pay for these once expired so I am looking for something extra, Without the extra cost. Something that is easy to deal will also be advantage.

We are happy to be with any provider
2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Emmaaar22 wrote: »
    In short I am looking for a replacement TV box as my one has now...broken down. However, It`s trickier as I first imagined. With all of these sticks and boxes with this add on and add that on it`s muddled my brain.

We don`t want to be spending a fortune on one, As long as it has the main channels. I would also be interested in looking at Netflix etc.

We was looking at the NOWTV one with free sky sports, movies and so for the first 2 months, However it transpires that you would need to pay for these once expired so I am looking for something extra, Without the extra cost. Something that is easy to deal will also be advantage.

We are happy to be with any provider

Knowing what the broken box was would help first off.

What do you actually watch now and what could you not do without? Do you have a smart TV and does that support everything that you need?
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear, you only have to pay for extra content on Now TV if you want it. You can buy a Now TV stick, use the bundled passes, cancel them, and continue to use the device for its free services.
    ex Board Guide

• edited 22 October 2019 at 10:49AM
    Emmaaar22Emmaaar22 Forumite
    728 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 22 October 2019 at 10:49AM
    My old TV box is freeview.

As I said main channels would be the main thing we would like to have, The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage.
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • Emmaaar22Emmaaar22 Forumite
    728 Posts
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    To be clear, you only have to pay for extra content on Now TV if you want it. You can buy a Now TV stick, use the bundled passes, cancel them, and continue to use the device for its free services.

I understand but I don`t like having to keep forking out for these additional services. I`d much prefer to have the services without the hassle.

What free services does NOWTV have anyway?
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage. >

As all these are paid for services you need to narrow the field a bit .
    Virgin or Sky are those with big packages .

But your posts read as you are looking for paid for services without paying for them .
  • edited 22 October 2019 at 12:59PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 October 2019 at 12:59PM
    What free services does NOWTV have anyway?

- BBC iPlayer with live BBC channels over the Internet,
    - ITV Hub with live ITV channels over the Internet,
    - All 4 with archive of C4 content and internet-only extras,
    - My 5 with archive of C5 content and a variety of bought-in content,
    - UKTV Player with content from Dave, Drama and Yesterday (IIRC),
    - Youtube,
    - Sky News - live and catch-up,
    - TED and other minor video and audio services.

Netflix is also available at additional cost.
    ex Board Guide

728 Posts
    ✭✭
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    <The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage. >

As all these are paid for services you need to narrow the field a bit .
    Virgin or Sky are those with big packages .

But your posts read as you are looking for paid for services without paying for them .

Well it`s a good thing I`ve been looking at Sky Q then
    728 Posts
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    - BBC iPlayer with live BBC channels over the Internet,
    - ITV Hub with live ITV channels over the Internet,
    - All 4 with archive of C4 content and internet-only extras,
    - My 5 with archive of C5 content and a variety of bought-in content,
    - UKTV Player with content from Dave, Drama and Yesterday (IIRC),
    - Youtube,
    - Sky News - live and catch-up,
    - TED and other minor video and audio services.

Netflix is also available at additional cost.

thank you very much most helpful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    thank you very much most helpful
    Do realise that a NOW TV decoder will need to be connected to the internet, unlike your current set up which relies solely (in all likelihood) on an aerial. Do you have fast enough broadband to cope with streaming TV services along with the other demands already placed on your connection?
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My old TV box is freeview.

As I said main channels would be the main thing we would like to have, The additional channels of sports, movies, netflix would also be a advantage.
    Just buy a new Freeview box that has Netflix or Youview box then. Youview boxes have Netflix.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES