Panorama 21/10/19

Options
Any thoughts/experiences?

Apparently HargreavesLansdown have 300,000 tied up in Woodford funds.

Comments

• MaxiRobriguez
    Options
    There's a "Woodford concerns" thread.

The Panorama show is going to be difficult watching, with members of the public who think they've done deep, meaningful research by going on Woodford wikipedia, who are upset they put all their money in one fund and their midas manager didn't deliver.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Or not. Where do you think most of his investors came from? What if they just trusted Hargreaves Lansdown?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Toothless as the owner of dentures sitting in a glass by the bedside.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I watched the show on catch up when I got in. Nothing that hadn't been on the Woodford thread here or in the broadsheets, but will have interested some people who don't know the story.

Pleasantly surprised that they didn't give too much screen time to the daily mail editor whose career is built on sensationalistic articles and recently had to admit that he didn't do enough due diligence on his own investments in Woodford funds, which he spun in the tabloid as 'if I, a clever economics editor, didn't invest wisely then what chance did poor OAPs have...'
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Given that almost 300,000 are adversely affected, it was disappointing that Hargreaves Lansdown were not mentioned by name (although I imagined their "factsheet" was shown behind the voiceover) .
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was some clever editing of the FCA interviews into bite size sentences. Would have preferred a longer segment on a more broader level. As Woodford cannot be the only individual up to no good. Greed overcomes even the best.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Given that almost 300,000 are adversely affected, it was disappointing that Hargreaves Lansdown were not mentioned by name (although I imagined their "factsheet" was shown behind the voiceover) .

I'm sure that something will surface in due course. With some £85 billion (?) under management. The question must be as to whether investors were "steered" towards certain investment management groups.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The question must be as to whether investors were "steered" towards certain investment management groups.

I can confirm that at least one was.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    Could the H&L "Wealth List" be construed as financial advice and hence could H&L be sued for bad advice?
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Thrugelmir
    edited 21 October 2019 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Could the H&L "Wealth List" be construed as financial advice and hence could H&L be sued for bad advice?

What financial incentives were offered, if any?

Once HL grew in size should it of scrapped it's Wealth List. Focusing instead on regulated specific customer advice.

As always happens when the SHTF. You realise how many people don't fully appreciate the risks that investing poses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure