Old camera with Mini DV - download problems?

Options
raddy59
raddy59 Posts: 322 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 October 2019 at 3:55PM in Techie Stuff
I have an old Sony Handycam (DCR-HC22E)
There are some old Mini DV tapes in the box I had forgotten about, of my boy when he was young (I can view them on the camera)
I want to download them to my PC, but the latest Sony software doesn't do the job (I never ever used it to be honest) using the USB link cable.
Is there an easy way or a bit of kit I can get to retrieve the vids, they are priceless...

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • raddy59
    Options
    Thanks Neil - but my windows 10 PC doesn't have firewire unfortunately :(
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    raddy59 wrote: »
    Thanks Neil - but my windows 10 PC doesn't have firewire unfortunately :(

"In case computer is not originally equipped with an IEEE 1394 port, several solutions are available on the market to add a port to the computer in the form of add-on PCI cards (in case of desktop computer) or PCMCIA cards (for portable PCs equipped with PCMCIA extension slot)"
  • raddy59
    Options
    IZ - it'll probably be a one off just to digitize 3 tapes. Maybe I'll take it to a 3rd prty to do the job. I had thought of getting a AV/Out to USB cable? It sounds too simple :)
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    IZ - it'll probably be a one off just to digitize 3 tapes. Maybe I'll take it to a 3rd prty to do the job. I had thought of getting a AV/Out to USB cable? It sounds too simple :)

Costs under £10 for a PCIe card; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1394A-Firewire-Card-Adapter-PCI-e-1X-IEEE-4-Port-3-1-With-6-Pin-To-4-Pin-IEEE/401905176033

How much do you think you will be charged by a third party for transcription?
  • raddy59
    Options
    Looks like I'll have to take the back off my pc - Yoiks! I'm really not comfortable with that :(
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Looks like I'll have to take the back off my pc - Yoiks! I'm really not comfortable with that :(

Full model details? It's usually the side or the top.. Never seen the back come off a PC.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that you could find a company locally who could do the job for you professionally.

It may cost a bit more than purchasing the appropriate card to fit into your pc but as it's a one off job it could be worth it.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Neil49 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you could find a company locally who could do the job for you professionally.

It may cost a bit more than purchasing the appropriate card to fit into your pc but as it's a one off job it could be worth it.

Why could it be worth it?? What would you consider "a bit more"? What is a bit more than £10?
    Don't you mean "a lot more"?
    'Professionally' in which way?
    It all sounds a bit vague.
    Perhaps you could post a link to a company that has the service, so we can look into what they might charge
  • raddy59
    Options
    Everywhere - its actually a laptop HP Envy....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure