PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Was meant to exchange contracts today, runined by ever increasing chain :(

Options

Comments

• indielad1010
    Options
    Bossypants wrote: »
    It's very frustrating, but the fact is that, even if you start afresh with a 'cash buyer', you'd struggle to be completely certain that they genuinely are what they claim to be, and that you won't end up in a similar situation down the line.

I think with cash buyer's you can ask for proof of funds? I should've asked the EA to obtain proof the chain was short I guess on hindsight.
  • indielad1010
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Hardly surprising. If the vendor (your buyer) hadn't agreed on a forward purchase. Setting expectations at the outset without understanding the process. Was unfortunately going to result in frustration. Completion dates cannot be objectively set until well into the process. There's no knowing what might arise.

We were well into the process, I don't know how further into the process you can be than th,e agreed by all parties, exchange of contracts day, without being commited to the completion.
  • indielad1010
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    If you need to move closer to your mother sooner rather than later could you look for a rental in her area, and then you are no longer worrying as much about needing a buyer urgently. If you can get a 6 month AST and then go periodic it will be easier for your onward purchase as you would be chain free when you find another place to buy.

Also you didn't sell your house in August, you accepted an offer in August, it is not "sold" until completion happens.

I believe the correct term is SSTC. I can't afford to rent and a mortgage!
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think with cash buyer's you can ask for proof of funds? I should've asked the EA to obtain proof the chain was short I guess on hindsight.

You can, and there's a decent chance it'll be fine, but there's always the possibility that the money is locked up somehow and they can't get to it, or they change their mind and decide to sell a property halfway through the transaction, or they are very slow to get anyhing done, or they are just very finicky and want a million surveys done, then gazunder you just before exchange.

I'm not saying this to spook you - the problem with these transactions is that you almost never know exactly what is going on with the other party, or how it might affect you in the long run. At the moment, you have a buyer and although they have not been completely straight, your chain does seem to be formed and moving along. When it comes to selling, especially in the current climate, that's not something to be dismissed lightly.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would it be possible to move in with your mother on a temporary basis while you wait for your sale to complete?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We were well into the process, I don't know how further into the process you can be than th,e agreed by all parties, exchange of contracts day, without being commited to the completion.

3/4 weeks to obtain a mortgage. Possibly 5 weeks to obtain all the searches. That's around 2 weeks past your timetable. Without solicitors even starting their enquiries and handing the legal aspects for the lender.
  • indielad1010
    Options
    No, because I have 2 hyperactive labradors. Her white blood cell count is down from the chemotherapy so can't go near them. The plan was I'd buy a house 5 minutes walk away, my girlfriend would move in and look after the dogs in exchange for being rent free, and I'd look after my mother at the times she needs help
  • indielad1010
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    3/4 weeks to obtain a mortgage. Possibly 5 weeks to obtain all the searches. That's around 2 weeks past your timetable. Without solicitors even starting their enquiries and handing the legal aspects for the lender.

I didn't give any ultimatums regarding dates with my buyer when he made the offer. I simply asked him to go as quickly as he could e.g. getting forms in, phoning solicitors occasionaly to get everything moving etc. The dates were mutually agreed at later dates, which he hasn't been able to achieve becase a) he gave misinformation on the stage of his conveyancing b) the chain is larger than either him or his buyer(s) let on.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The problem is that for anyone moving, no matter what the reason is for needing a quick move (and obviously many reasons are completely understandable and genuine), the legal process takes as long as it takes. There is no set date for exchange and completion. No indication of timescales can be given until the chain is complete and everyone has provided all the paperwork and had their mortgages agreed, searches and surveys back. Only when all paperwork can be looked at by all the respective solicitors/conveyancers representing all those people connected in the chain, can they give an estimate of how long it is likely to take. Until then, all guestimates of "exchange dates" are just wishful thinking.
  • indielad1010
    indielad1010 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2019 at 6:13PM
    Options
    Tiglet2 wrote: »
    The problem is that for anyone moving, no matter what the reason is for needing a quick move (and obviously many reasons are completely understandable and genuine), the legal process takes as long as it takes. There is no set date for exchange and completion. No indication of timescales can be given until the chain is complete and everyone has provided all the paperwork and had their mortgages agreed, searches and surveys back. Only when all paperwork can be looked at by all the respective solicitors/conveyancers representing all those people connected in the chain, can they give an estimate of how long it is likely to take. Until then, all guestimates of "exchange dates" are just wishful thinking.

I completely and utterly undestand the conveyancing process timeframe can be variable due to numerous factors. However, I'm sure you won't disagree, the longer the chain is, the more likely it is delays will occur or collapse.It is therefore preferable during a family emergency to seek the shortest chain available . It was my purchaser's and their purchaser's suggested date to exchange contracts today, it wasn't mine. Only to find someone I didn't know even existed was bolted on to the chain who wasn't ready to exchange, which reason I don't know why.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure