Finding a good solar PV supplier

For a while I’ve been thinking about getting solar panels and battery installed - partly because it will save some money (eventually), and partly because of the environmental benefits. Not simple, because I’ll need planning permission - all permitted development rights have been withdrawn on our estate.

How do I go about finding a reputable supplier who can help me choose the right option, and then go through the planning process. I really don’t want to use one of these big national companies whose main purpose seems to be arranging a fancy finance deal.

I’m in Coventry, in the West Midlands, and would also be interested in hearing recommendations if you’ve done something similar.

Mike

Comments

• sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    You would be better posting this in the green and ethical section.

However the general consensus on the money saving aspect of solar and storage is that it will never even cover the installation costs, let alone save you anything.

The solar industry in the UK was pretty much killed when the government pulled the feed in tariff, although some energy companies are starting to pay you for the energy that you export, however its early days for that.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 October 2019 at 4:18PM
    I'm also of the opinion that solar panels are now not cost effective. When the FIT was in operation then they would probably pay back in around 8-10 years.

The benefit slowly got eroded as the FIT payments were reduced until they ceased altogether. The energy firms don't pay for excess generation any more unless you are already signed up, although that might change in the future, but is by no means guaranteed.

Consequently solar panels aren't really economically viable as the pay back (if any) will take several decades. Adding batteries will probably mean that it will never ever payback on the investment.

As said above, spend your money on insulation and reducing your consumption.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport