Options
2»

Comments

• leviathan
    leviathan Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 6 November 2019 at 3:12PM
    Options
    I dont believe in UBI as we dont live in the Star Trek universe where everyone seeks to better themselves. Accepting that we should pay people who CBA to contibute to society doesn't agree with me.

Frankly, and again IMHO, UBI is essentially benefits as it stands today for many; as it does allow quite a lot of people to choose to live on them without ever having to work.

The catch being it's not really UBI as benefits stop when you work. Hence the problem of some people never working because the crutch of free money keeps them firmly in that trap/comfort zone.

That we cannot be honest as a society and accept and state some people do live on benefits as a choice means the system will forever remain broken.

Not as intended as a stop gap, but for some as a means to live quite well for their aspirational satisfaction.
  • sparker123
    Options
    they may ask for evidence you have not stuffed it under the mattress I was asked what some larger transaction on my savings account were for ( £1500 +) but never heard any thing else about it.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 November 2019 at 6:21PM
    Options
    If you are expecting to lose your job in the near future, and you have paid NI contributions in the previous two tax years - then the benefit you should be able to claim is New Style JSA. This is not means tested, and paid for 6 months.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-jobseekers-allowance

As you own your house, there is no need to claim UC to cover housing costs such as rent.

You don't say if you receive Child Tax Credits, but if that's the case you can continue with a Child Tax Credits claim whilst unemployed. This would only stop if you applied for UC.

A means tested benefit denied to you would be Council Tax reduction. But this local benefit will often have a capital limit of below £16k at many councils.

The only circumstance in which you might want to claim UC would be if you had dependent children, not currently receiving CTC (as your household income is currently too high), but would be eligible for the UC child element when unemployed.
    If this circumstance won't apply then you don't need to be concerned with UC and deprivation of capital.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure