PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to tell estimate house age in Rightmove ad

Options
13»

Comments

• Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know this wasn't exactly the question, but OP, please consider viewing every house that meets your overall size and location criteria. Before my current house, I'd always lived in properties of at least 100 years old, with buckets of character. I'm very romantically inclined, so I absolutely loved all the features. I honestly thought 20th century bungalows were the dullest, most depressing little houses you could imagine, only good for old people who physically couldn't manage anything else.

Then last year, I found myself having to move to a very specific location. It was a bad market to boot, so I had to view everything that seemed remotely plausible, including a bog standard 1950's red brick bungalow. It was incredibly dated and honestly a bit grim inside (probate property), freezing cold (heating off in November) and I viewed it in the driving rain, so not exactly a an auspicious viewing, but somehow I absolutely fell in love with this random little bungalow, which had a character all its own, just less ostentatious than the older places and so not clear on photos. Later that same day, I actually viewed a house which was much more in line with my usual style, which I almost certainly would have bought had I not seen the bungalow. I had, though, and I am now, 11 months later, I am sitting in my lovely little bungalow, which I would have scoffed at had I not forced myself to view it in person, and feeling very lucky indeed.

That was a rambling Sunday morning way of saying that you can't change location or plot size, but everything else is up for discussion, so do try to see everything that meets your minimum requirements for the first two, just in case!
  • SunnyCat
    SunnyCat Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bossypants wrote: »
    I know this wasn't exactly the question, but OP, please consider viewing every house that meets your overall size and location criteria. Before my current house, I'd always lived in properties of at least 100 years old, with buckets of character. I'm very romantically inclined, so I absolutely loved all the features. I honestly thought 20th century bungalows were the dullest, most depressing little houses you could imagine, only good for old people who physically couldn't manage anything else.

Then last year, I found myself having to move to a very specific location. It was a bad market to boot, so I had to view everything that seemed remotely plausible, including a bog standard 1950's red brick bungalow. It was incredibly dated and honestly a bit grim inside (probate property), freezing cold (heating off in November) and I viewed it in the driving rain, so not exactly a an auspicious viewing, but somehow I absolutely fell in love with this random little bungalow, which had a character all its own, just less ostentatious than the older places and so not clear on photos. Later that same day, I actually viewed a house which was much more in line with my usual style, which I almost certainly would have bought had I not seen the bungalow. I had, though, and I am now, 11 months later, I am sitting in my lovely little bungalow, which I would have scoffed at had I not forced myself to view it in person, and feeling very lucky indeed.

That was a rambling Sunday morning way of saying that you can't change location or plot size, but everything else is up for discussion, so do try to see everything that meets your minimum requirements for the first two, just in case!

Thank you for your input Bossypants! I feel like perhaps I wasn't very clear in my original post - I'm interested in anything older than 1980s, just not newer... 50s are definitely under consideration and actually we almost bought a 1930s property.

On the other comment on location and plot size being the only thing you can't change... I know that's entirely correct. But for a FTB couple, no equity just deposit money + some for decoration and such, buying a doer upper isn't really something we want to do. We both work pretty long hours and want to come to a nice pleasant place that feels like home. And we don't really have the cash for renovations (while increased mortgage for a done up place only requires 10% deposit).
    I know this isn't the approach most people would suggest, possibly doing a place up yourself bit by bit brings the best value but it doesn't seem like the best option for us.
  • SunnyCat
    Options
    How about This place? The exterior makes it look quite newish, but the decor inside doesn't...
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Asbestos?

Sulfate attack?

Subsidence?

Older properties have plenty of problems too.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 October 2019 at 8:13AM
    Options
    jimbo6977 wrote: »
    Asbestos?

Sulfate attack?

Subsidence?

Older properties have plenty of problems too.
    Of course they do, but there's nothing, except artex finishes, to suggest any of those things.

Looks as if it's been quite well maintained, probably by older people. If they've stuck around for years, that's a good sign. It's an 80s house, I think.

For me, I'd knock through to give Bed 1 a dressing room and I wouldn't want to keep the kitchen long, but others might have other priorities....oh, and the fireplace! :rotfl:
  • SunnyCat
    edited 16 October 2019 at 9:18AM
    Options
    The layout is a bit puzzling with the two identical bathrooms... almost like upstairs was taken from a semi :)

I think 80s might be a good guess, would you possibly think a bit older? This map someone provided earlier in this thread gives me 1965-72:
    https://maps.cdrc.ac.uk/#/metrics/dwellingage/default/BTTTFFT/14/-0.7484/51.2993/
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SunnyCat wrote: »
    I think 80s might be a good guess, would you possibly think a bit older? This map someone provided earlier in this thread gives me 1965-72:
    https://maps.cdrc.ac.uk/#/metrics/dwellingage/default/BTTTFFT/14/-0.7484/51.2993/
    Yes, it could well be 70s. The map linked to looks like the detail is there which is missing from the one for my home town, where it was hopeless and just divided everything into pre and post WW2.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 October 2019 at 12:10PM
    Options
    epinjy wrote: »
    https://maps.cdrc.ac.uk/#/metrics/dwellingage/default/BTTTFFT/10/-0.1500/51.5200/
    Seems to give a reasonably accurate picture of the eras areas were built. It gives the most common property build date for an area - so obviously some houses in the area wont be built during that era but in those cases its usually quite easy to tell just by looking at the house. It's also fun to look at and see how towns have expanded over time!

I definitely wouldn't call it reasonably accurate, complete waste of time would be my words. I've looked at:

The property we sold 2 years ago, former council property on a 1970s built estate - map says 1993-1999 for the entire estate.
    Housing deveopment not far from the property mentioned above built around around 10 years ago - map says 1930-39
    MiLs house built in the 1920s - map says 1900-1918 so not far off but the majority of houses in the area were built in the 60s yet are also shaded the same colour.

and best of all:

My sister's house built in in the late 90s as part of a development of 100+ properties - map says pre 1900 :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure