We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

2 bed terrace or 2 bed apartment

2

Comments

  • House easily! No additional ground rent or service charge.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    House, just for the pleasure of a private garden

    Well also the fact its going to most probably be freehold over a leasehold flat
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2019 at 7:51AM
    Freehold over leasehold every time. My son had to pay £13500 to extend his leas on his flat and we are having to pay £750 to amend a cause in the lease on our rental flat. Always extra charges and /or other problems with leasehold.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,652 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The house wins everytime for me.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Agree with all the others

    I've lived in both and while the flat was lovely I prefer the house I am in now. Although, I might have a different view in a few years time when my knees are completely shot!

    In particular, I like the separation of space. I do have a downstairs loo in addition to the upstairs bathroom, though, which, for me, is a massive plus.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,476 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just the thought of having to renew the lease would put me off LH! (Presuming it was a 99 year or whatever lease to start with.)
    2024 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    House all day long. Noise from above is much more annoying that side to side, plus potential leaks from upstairs flat. House is freehold, garden for your son and much easier to sell in the future to both a BTL landlord or a FTB.
  • House everytime. I lived in a leasehold flat until last year when I moved to a freehold house.

    The flat had a £1,200/ year service charge, and managing agents that were beyond useless - weeks to sort anything out and not getting decent contractors in for eg. gardening so it was a mess. The freedom to not worry about that is fantastic. Yes I have to pay for any structural repairs that may arise, but will be done how I want by who I want..
  • We are buying a flat, but only because we can't afford to buy a house. Although I actually prefer the one level layout of flats over a house, I'd still buy a house given the choice!
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,183 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    House or top floor flat.
    Would never entertain a ground floor due to noise of people coming / going and from those living above!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear 31/12/2029.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.