New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Swimming hat for men

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
25 replies 4.1K views
13»

Replies

• They don't. They primarily protect the swimmer's hair from the damaging effect of chlorine...

Actually the primary use is to reduce resistance whilst swimming, and hence improve your speed through the water.
    As you later admit, they don't really keep you hair dry...
    It is a common misconception that a swim cap will keep your hair dry when swimming.

especially when most swimmers, especially when racing, often immediately pull them off at the finish and dip their now uncapped head in the water :cool:

I do agree they are even less effective at keeping water out of the ears; infact generally useless for that, but there are swimmers ear plugs that can be effective for that if required. Nose clips are also available.
  • edited 9 November 2019 at 10:32AM
    lowlakelowlake Forumite
    5 posts
    edited 9 November 2019 at 10:32AM
    Has anyone bought one of these, any good places? I need one as I keep getting ear infections.

Most swimming pools will generally sell things like swimming caps, ear plugs, nose plugs etc at reception, as well as a limited range of costumes, and other swimming paraphernalia if permitted in the pool (e.g. fins, paddles, dive sticks/balls etc).
    Or they are also available from most sports shops or online
  • I was thinking about saving time after leaving the pool. I am often in a rush and don't get my hair that dry which is what causes the colds, sorry I should have given more details, I am not that well at the moment, due to an ear infection.
    I know - the first thing the GP asked was if I had been swimming

Probably you should be avoiding swimming (in public pools) whenever you are feeling unwell, or otherwise have any infection. ;)

When you are well and do attend, always allow a couple of minutes to ensure you properly dry yourself before leaving the warm environment of the facility. Hair driers are often provided for those that require them.
  • lowlake wrote: »
    Probably you should be avoiding swimming (in public pools) whenever you are feeling unwell, or otherwise have any infection. ;)

When you are well and do attend, always allow a couple of minutes to ensure you properly dry yourself before leaving the warm environment of the facility. Hair driers are often provided for those that require them.
    I do now - I didn't always in the past which was a mistake.
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swim bands are effective for keeping water out of the ears

swim bands

and if you want to make doubly sure you can use silicone ear plugs too

silicone ear plugs
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide