We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Help with Credit Rating (18 Years Old)
KelhamJack
Posts: 8 Forumite
I have done a lot of research myself but a lot of it is US based and I want some help for the UK
What credit card is best for me that I can use to build credit? (Shows on all 3 credit report things)
What is the best and quickest way to build it? (I heard spend 10% or allowed credit or under)
Is it worth having multiple credit cards, if so which ones?
What credit card is best for me that I can use to build credit? (Shows on all 3 credit report things)
What is the best and quickest way to build it? (I heard spend 10% or allowed credit or under)
Is it worth having multiple credit cards, if so which ones?
0
Comments
-
Hi KelhamJack and welcome to the forum

For your first mainstream card, you will possibly be accepted if you apply to the bank with whom you have a current account. If that is declined, then you would need to apply for a sub-prime offering such as Aqua, CapitalOne or Vanquis.
You need to build evidence within your credit file demonstrating you can successfully credit accounts. You can do this by going for a SIM-only contract on a mobile and paying for your utility bills on a Direct Debit. Also, it is very important to be on the Electoral Register at your current address.
With a credit card, you wan to use it each month it for your normal monthly expenses for groceries and travel costs. Then pay off the balance in full, by the due date, once you have received the monthly statement.I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.
I love my job
0 -
Is there an optimum percentage of the credit I get given that I should spend to start building my score?
Which one out of Aqua, CapitalOne, or Vanquis do you recommend and do you know anything about the Amazon Classic card? (and should I have multiple)
Plus do they all offer auto-pay services?0 -
There is no optimum percentage of credit that should be used, as you will be clearing your balance in full each month.KelhamJack wrote: »Is there an optimum percentage of the credit I get given that I should spend to start building my score?
Which one out of Aqua, CapitalOne, or Vanquis do you recommend and do you know anything about the Amazon Classic card? (and should I have multiple)
Plus do they all offer auto-pay services?
I believe that Aqua, CapitalOne and Vanquis all have eligibility checkers that you can use to determine your likelihood of being accepted. I have no preference.
I have an Amazon card. I don't recall there being an elegibility checker for this card though.
I would only apply to have a single card at the beginning as you want to get used to managing the credit you have available without building any debt.I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.
I love my job
0 -
You don't have a credit score - you have credit history - this is what you need to build up.
Amazon do have an eligibility checker for their card I believe0 -
Which one has the best app and I assume they also all have a way of auto pay?
I can supposedly get any of the cards listed here with the eligibility checker I did0 -
KelhamJack wrote: »Which one has the best app and I assume they also all have a way of auto pay?
I can supposedly get any of the cards listed here with the eligibility checker I did
What do you mean by "auto pay"?
And what defines an app being the "best"?0 -
Easiest to use I guess, capital one has highest reviews and great rating so may go for that
and by auto pay, I mean set it up so the money is automatically taken to pay off the credit I’ve used at the end of the month or whenever the billing period is
(Sorry if my knowledge of financial terms isn’t the best)0 -
KelhamJack wrote: »and by auto pay, I mean set it up so the money is automatically taken to pay off the credit I’ve used at the end of the month or whenever the billing period is
You just need to set up a full pay direct debit with whichever card you end up getting.
Apply for the one that give you the greatest chance of acceptance via an eligibility checker, not the one with the shiniest app.0 -
Thanks for all the help so far,
I didn’t mean I want the shiniest app, just wanted to know if any of them had problems with apps, hard to use, etc.
I have 100% chance with capital one but which card do I get, classic, classic complete or platinum?
The clear score app is showing that the Capital One platinum card is the credit building option but just checking before I apply0 -
Any card is good for building credit history, regardless of the lender, name of the card, or shiniest app.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
