New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Concerns About Dubai

39 replies 2.3K views

Replies

• Never been to Dubai, wanted to take family to Atlantis hotel, I have not seen similar elsewhere with the water park and facilities that they offer to the same standards.

It’s these sort of things that you mention that totally throw me off going though.
  • z1az1a
    2.5K posts
    Forumite
    At 7 years old, nobody will take any notice of him being rude.
  • edited 2 October 2019 at 9:28PM
    JennyJukesJennyJukes
    310 posts
    Forumite
    I won, I won, I won!
    ✭✭
    edited 2 October 2019 at 9:28PM
    Yikes, I mean there is definitely shady things that happen in Dubai in terms of people being jailed for minor things but I really don't think you have to worry about a 7 year old.

Also this is Dubai, a multicultural society that benefits from tourism, all morals kinda go out the window when it comes to money. It's not Saudi Arabia. Technically it's illegal to drink alcohol there because they're a muslim country and you have to have some sort of drinking license to do so but they're also more than happy to sell you more duty-free alcohol than you can in other airports! Also you're supposed to technically be married before you even hold hands but tourist hotels don't really bat an eyelid as they are aware our culture and customs are different.

I've seen couples embracing, gay people holding hands, the only time anyone is going to do anything is if you make a big show and dance about it. They will understand a child is innocent. I'm sure not every child brought up there has perfect behaviour. Children are children. ETA: I have asked my boyfriend and he said there are lots of children with behaviour issues there and there is specific help set up for them like you would in the UK eg groups for them and their families to go to etc. So people are understanding of that, they aren't locked in cages.

If you are concerned, just don't go but I would suggest reading tripadvisor or other forums from people who actually live in Dubai. It helped ease my worries when I went as I was worried about taking the contraceptive pill, I was worried they would ask questions about where I ws going who I was going with but nothing was raised. The second time I went it was arab men taking my passport and they were clearly looking down on me for travelling alone as a woman but everyone else I encountered was polite.

Also all the touristy places you'll be going will be full of international workers who don't hold the same views as the arab community but most the arab / muslim people we did see were just regular people minding their own business.

Maybe you could post and read through here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g295424-i872-Dubai_Emirate_of_Dubai.html

ETA: ignore the comment about gay couples. Forgot it's common for for same-sex to hold hands in some of the cultures there!
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: Complete :j
    House Deposit: On-Going
    Second-Hand Replacement Car: On-Going
    And whatever else the future brings... :)
  • LilElvisLilElvis
    5.3K posts
    Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is 7 years old

A seven year old only swears because they have learned this language - and that's down to you, from your own example or what you expose him to.
  • Before you point fingers, ensure you know the facts of which you do not. But thank you for your opinion.
  • LilElvisLilElvis
    5.3K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    z1a wrote: »
    At 7 years old, nobody will take any notice of him being rude.

I would. It's not language I would expect from a child that age.
  • LilElvisLilElvis
    5.3K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before you point fingers, ensure you know the facts of which you do not. But thank you for your opinion.

I assume that's aimed at me. A 7 seven year old learns from their environment, and as a parent that is yours to control. A child isn't born knowing how to swear - it's learned.
  • School environment cannot be changed. Gaming on the internet can be monitored but only controlled to a certain extent and to take it away from a child that had no social skills is not the answer either.

He rarely swears but he does have tantrums and his swear is not full swear when he does it’s abbreviated. His sisters do not swear at all. Do not smear me
  • LilElvisLilElvis
    5.3K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    School environment cannot be changed. Gaming on the internet can be monitored but only controlled to a certain extent and to take it away from a child that had no social skills is not the answer either.

He rarely swears but he does have tantrums and his swear is not full swear when he does it’s abbreviated. His sisters do not swear at all. Do not smear me

If he is learning inappropriate language at school then take it up with them. If he's learning it from online gaming then you need to monitor him more closely. His education is so important that you're prioritising a holiday over it as you seem to be proposing taking a holiday during term time (June)?
  • bluesblues
    234 posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Well Dubai isn’t the most tolerant of places, so personally it wouldn’t be my first choice. The heat is also very oppressive which can impact on the behaviour of children if they’re not used to it.