BEVs deals and information

Options

Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A Nissan LEAF would be cheaper to own over 3 years than a Ford Focus — with or without subsidy.
    True, but is £40 over 3 years really worth bragging about !
  • JKenH
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    True, but is £40 over 3 years really worth bragging about !

No. If there were no government subsidy (BEV grant) an ICE car is still a little cheaper to run for the average private motorist buying new. Prices of BEVs need to fall a little further before they become mainstream and most people I talk to are resistant to the idea that they are a viable alternative to an ICE car. A guy came to fix the windscreen of my Golf and warned me that the battery of my Leaf might explode.

The costs are getting closer but there is no compelling argument either way. If, like me, you want an EV you buy one; if you don’t you buy an ICE. I do sing the virtues of EVs but I am a very recent convert who is prepared to put up with their shortcomings and I can understand why most people still prefer ICEs.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A guy came to fix the windscreen of my Golf and warned me that the battery of my Leaf might explode.

Unless you were trying to drill into the battery at the time, I find that unlikely. Does anyone take EV advice from windscreen fitters? Did you ask him how or correct him?!
  • JKenH
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Unless you were trying to drill into the battery at the time, I find that unlikely. Does anyone take EV advice from windscreen fitters? Did you ask him how or correct him?!

No, I wasn’t looking for a scrap and he obviously was an expert. He claims to have seen a lithium battery explode and said it wasn’t a pretty sight.

I thought it was only Teslas exploded😉
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 December 2019 at 3:17PM
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Unless you were trying to drill into the battery at the time, I find that unlikely.

One of the storage battery companies, Sonnen, has a video on Youtube (I forget which one) where they test 2 types of lithium cells for safety by driving a nail through them.
    The cobalt cell exploded and burst into flames but when the nail went through the phosphate cell there was no explosion or fire, just a small amount of bubbling (presumably gas) around the hole where the nail entered.
    Apparently, the phosphate cell was still useable after the test.
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • JKenH
    Options
    There are some tremendous incentives to buy BEVs in the US. Shame we don’t have them over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iek_sB0MhGA&feature=share
  • thatcarguy
    Options
    As the EV landscape currently stands, leasing is currently considered a suitable option because electric vehicle depreciate much faster than ICEs - around 56% for the former compared to about 38% to the latter.

I'm not saying which one to go for, but I am saying that if you're new to the idea of EVs and want to try it - and the UK is fast gearing up for this in terms of charging networks - would you want to buy a car that's more expensive than an ICE car just to sell it on in 4 years when better technology emerges and yours is outdated (and worth less)?

I think you've found yourself a leasing deal to consider mate!
  • thatcarguy
    Options
    That's an amazing vid - thanks for sharing.

Don't forget that we have a £3500 government grant for buying a new EV and you pay NO road tax on a 100% EV (BEV) if it's CO2 emissions are 0g/km or less, and it costs under £40K :)
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    thatcarguy wrote: »
    As the EV landscape currently stands, leasing is currently considered a suitable option because electric vehicle depreciate much faster than ICEs - around 56% for the former compared to about 38% to the latter.

I'm not saying which one to go for, but I am saying that if you're new to the idea of EVs and want to try it - and the UK is fast gearing up for this in terms of charging networks - would you want to buy a car that's more expensive than an ICE car just to sell it on in 4 years when better technology emerges and yours is outdated (and worth less)?

I think you've found yourself a leasing deal to consider mate!
    I'm not sure that's true. The common mistake I've seen in EV depreciation numbers is to ignore the £3,500 credit. If you assume that the initial price is what you actually pay the depreciation is similar or less than an ICE at the moment.

That ignores the chance of ICE cars losing their resale value as they get taxed off the road or excluded from city centers, which will happen but who knows when.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback