Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge for countersigning my friends' passport photos?

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you renew your passport digitally at the post office, you don't need a counter signature, unless your appearance has changed dramatically;)
    I never used to charge, when I signed for friends :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No.
    If you do charge remember it is taxable if you pay tax.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    G.P.'s have always charged for countersigning passports.
    However, I am in a profession allowed to countersign, I do my G.P.'s free and he does mine free.
    No problem or dilemma.
  • Durban
    Durban Posts: 478 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2019 at 10:36PM
    Options
    I can also countersign and certainly wouldn't charge anyone

You will not be allowed to profit from being a police officer and I would imagine that your Professional Standards Dept would take an extremely dim view if you did this. Your job could even be at risk.
  • Pensionerkbm
    Options
    What a stupid question. Us teachers have been doing it for years for friends and neighbours. Wouldn’t dream of charging.
  • Chunkeemonkey
    Options
    Personally if it was me I would and instead of having to dig your passport out each time could you write the details down and keep in a safe place maybe locked on your phone or written down inside of a diary. If I asked a friend this and they said yes but I’m charging you I would think they’re taking the !!!!!
  • Chunkeemonkey
    Options
    I wrote yes I would but I meant yes I’d fill it in but absolutely no I wouldn’t charge them
  • JanGran
    Options
    Absolutely not. Apart from saying this is a friend, anyone can call into any police station with suitable ID and get it done for free. I think if you seriously wanted to charge for it, you need to check with your superiors to see if that is allowed - it's a bit like taking a pay off for something.
  • UK064923
    Options
    Even if helping my friends out has a cost implication , for example giving someone a lift, which also involves more time sacrifice than getting my passport out, I would never want Payment.
    I assume you would declare charging for your signature on your tax return and advise your employer you had an outside employment interest.
  • Cheshiretinman
    Options
    If you have recently become a Police Officer and are asking yourself this question already, then you're clearly in the wrong career! What else would you accept money for? Complete a passport application form for someone you don't actually know? Turning a blind eye to criminal activity? As a Police Officer you are there to serve the community and if you're asked by your friends or persons that you have known a sufficient time to sign their passport application form accordingly then you should do so as part of your duty as a constable. (Unless of course your Force prohibits this?). This post just goes to show that the standard of new police recruits these days is sadly lacking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure