Semi detached house, broken downpipe, who is responsible

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

I live in a semi detached house, I recently discovered the down pipe (I think that's what it is called) that gets rid of the water from the gutter has been damaged.

The house is built, where the down pipes from my gutter are in the neighbours back garden next to their back door.

I would like to get this fixed as the leak is damaging my wall and the neighbours wall. Is it my responsibility to pay as the pipe is attached to my gutters or as it is on my neighbours property, is it their responsibility?

Thank you

Comments

• SHAFT
    SHAFT Posts: 565 Forumite
    Given it's will benefit you both why not split the cost?
  • My neighbour won't pay unless it is their responsibilty, even then I may end up having to pay. Money is a bit tight otherwise I wouldn't have even asked them.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If it's from your gutter I would say it's your responsibility to pay, especially considering it shouldn't cost too much.

There may be something in the title deeds on common repairs for future reference.
  • I'd just get it done. It'll be cheaper than sorting out secondary problems arising from the leak.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Plastic or metal. Damaged in what way?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I live in a semi detached house, I recently discovered the down pipe (I think that's what it is called) that gets rid of the water from the gutter has been damaged.

The house is built, where the down pipes from my gutter are in the neighbours back garden next to their back door.

Does the one downpipe drain the gutters from both houses?
  • Plastic downpipe costs about £10 get a handiman to change it. I've just checked, 5.5mtrs (usually more than enough) of black downpipe is £8.99 retail at my local independant. I'd get it slightly cheaper trade. With new brackets and fitted lets call it £50. If your neighbor damaged it they should pay towards it, if not I'd assume its your cost.
  • I would say that if its on the neighbours property then they should pay.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    venison wrote: »
    I would say that if its on the neighbours property then they should pay.

Despite that fact that the OP's rainwater discharges down it?

We're talking about a few pounds here if it's plastic and DIY's with a You Tube video. The cost on the house of leaving it and arguing is higher than one person paying for it now.

It should be split, if it isn't and one person pays, it's still cheaper than leaving it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    That's assuming the neighbour isn't so belligerent as to not allow OP access to their property to repair the portion of gutters and downpipe, on their land.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure