IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

£15,000

in Motoring
17 replies 1.3K views
If that was your budget and you were looking to buy a used luxury car/SUV with reasonable MPG at a car auction what make/model would you look for and could expect for that budget ?

Don't need anything too big - just a couple of old fogeys looking for something to drive off into the sunset.

Thanks for all suggestions in advance.

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wouldn't buy at auction, to start with. You don't get much opportunity to properly check the car, the pressure to buy something is too high, and with Joe Public buyer's premium rates, they aren't going to be that cheap, either.

Buy on condition, and on whether it ticks your boxes, not on badge.
  • edited 30 September 2019 at 7:42PM
    BrilleyBrilley Forumite
    214 Posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2019 at 7:42PM
    ..how many miles do you intend to do?....ie may be a factor in whether you go petrol or diesel? ALso "how big" as SUV come in all sizes now?

For reliability possibly Honda CRV (big and not very economical if petrol..but OK if Diesel)
    Small SUV - Seat Arona - 1.0 ltr petrol economical and practical.
    Ford Kuga (lots of kit for the money) / Nissan Quashki (NB Some reliability issues).
    Audi Q3 (may be older for £15k), BMW X1..but nobody will let you lout at junctions, Kia Soul (stopped making them now)...

MX5 ...OK not exactly an SUV but probably more smiles per mile than any other car assuming you can get in and out of it OK :)...or a CX5 if you can't

Which best buys showing Honda, Subaru, Kia Sportage. (Join Which if you are not a member for an initial subscription of a £1 for a couple of weeks then cancel if you want to check for the current best cars)

As a starter for 10 go onto Autotrader and set up a search on "any SUV", between £14k and 16K, MPG 40+mpg, post 2017 currently shows over 4000 vehicles?

..and as per the good advice, I would never spend £15k on an auction car. Go for a (reputable? assuming you can find one), dealer and get a warranty.
  • MX5huggyMX5huggy Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would use it as a deposit on a Kia eNero.
  • edited 30 September 2019 at 8:55PM
    seatbeltnoobseatbeltnoob Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2019 at 8:55PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy at auction, to start with. You don't get much opportunity to properly check the car, the pressure to buy something is too high, and with Joe Public buyer's premium rates, they aren't going to be that cheap, either.

Buy on condition, and on whether it ticks your boxes, not on badge.

I agree, auction is a gamble, it works for traders, they will buy several cars on auction, they might make good profit on a few cars, break even on A few, make a loss on a couple, make a windfall on one. But on average it works for them.

As a member of the public, just wanted to buy one car. It's a risk, you might be unlucky and buy a car that's worth less than what you bid for and require work to get it to good nick.

Public buyer fees are huge, 15K is a lot to throw at a car - I'd want some consumer protection on that, I would rather pay £16.5K on that same car that I test drove, checked history and have consumer protection than take a chance and get it off auction for £15K.
  • Lexus GS 450h 3.5
    45mpg and £150 road tax in some luxury.
  • jimbo6977jimbo6977 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Genuinely luxurious, genuinely small cars are like hen's teeth - no-one makes them because they couldn't charge enough money to generate sufficient margin.

I'd forget the auctions and go for a pre-registered Ssangyong Tivoli Ultimate, which you can pick up for less than £16k from a franchised dealer. The only thing longer than the list of kit is the warranty.
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jimbo6977 wrote: »
    Genuinely luxurious, genuinely small cars are like hen's teeth - no-one makes them because they couldn't charge enough money to generate sufficient margin.
    There have been various attempts over the years, from VdP badge-engineering in the days of BL through to the Aston Cygnet...
    Ssangyong Tivoli Ultimate
    The only thing longer than the list of kit is the [STRIKE]warranty[/STRIKE] badge.
    FTFY
  • Have a look at the infiniti Q30 which is essentially a mercedes GLA (but better looking) for around 5k cheaper than the comparable merc!

I got a 20k 2017, 4x4, 2.2 DCT for 12k (its all Mercedes from engine, chassis, switch gear, key etc.)

Avoid the French engines and you are laughing.

The infinitis are a real bargain at the moment since their departure from the UK but still have the backing from Nissan.
  • hollie.weimeranerhollie.weimeraner Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mazda MX5 roadster, Mercedes SLK or CLK.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    22.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have almost always driven convertibles.

I've had an MX5, and that was lovely. My present car is a Volvo C70, which is a pretty luxurious 4 seater convertible, and you'll struggle to spend as much as £15k on one.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals