Evans Halshaw Extended Warranty and Guarantee

Options
Scad
Scad Posts: 38 Forumite
Just posting this for other's benefit in the hope it helps others in the event that Evans Halshaw refuse to make a repair under an extended warranty and guarantee they have sold you (i will refer to itthe warranty and guarantee as "the guarantee" for ease).

I purchased a car from EH along with the guarantee around 4 years ago. The guarantee was due to run for 2 years from the date of purchase and cost £399. I never buy extended warranties normally but the salesman did a great sales job and said that it would cover everything, apart from wear and tear on things like the tyres and brakes (totally understandable) but would cover any fault and breakdown that occurred.

Within 18 months of purchase, a fault developed in the car. I took it into an independent garage that said the fault was on the drive shafts and it was going to cost £340 to fix. Remembering I had the guarantee I contacted EH.

To have it repaired under the guarantee, I had to take the car into EH to ascertain whether the fault was covered by the guarantee. In a not very surprising turn of events, they said a clip had broken and therefore the drive shaft suffered wear and tear and therefore wasn't covered by the guarantee. The real kicker was that I had to pay them £50 to give me my keys back.

A week or so later I wrote to the manager to complain about the chain of events. He offered to refund me the £50 as a gesture of goodwill but did say "what did I expect, I had used the car for 18 months and driven 14,000 miles". I rejected that offer.

So i complained to FOS. I complained to them as the documentation that they provided to me at the point of sale referred to the guarantee as an insurance policy. In particular "you have opted to take out the following insurance policy with us:- extended warranty and guarantee".

FOS were in agreement that it did appear to be an insurance policy. An insurance policy being the transfer of money from one party to the other and the risk of loss moving with that money.

Anyway turns out that EH bricked it when this happened as they didn't want a finding against them at FOS as it would set a precedence that all of their guarantees were insurance policies and increased their offer to half. I also rejected that.

Well low and behold, I am now the proud recipient of a settlement cheque for £449 (£399 guarantee cost and the £50 inspection fee).

For anyone that has been screwed over by EH and their useless guarantees (of which looking on the internet there are many) - don't give up. Get those claims into FOS and get your money back.

:beer:

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scad wrote: »
    I purchased a car from EH along with the guarantee around 4 years ago. The guarantee was due to run for 2 years from the date of purchase and cost £399. I never buy extended warranties normally but the salesman did a great sales job and said that it would cover everything, apart from wear and tear on things like the tyres and brakes (totally understandable) but would cover any fault and breakdown that occurred.
    Never mind what the salesman said, what did the actual documentation say? Because one of those is far more important and relevant than the other...
    To have it repaired under the guarantee, I had to take the car into EH to ascertain whether the fault was covered by the guarantee. In a not very surprising turn of events, they said a clip had broken and therefore the drive shaft suffered wear and tear and therefore wasn't covered by the guarantee.
    So the CV joint gaiter failed to retain the grease, and the joint died. Situation normal there. The only surprise would be if it really was the clip itself, rather than the gaiter simply wearing through.
    So i complained to FOS. I complained to them as the documentation that they provided to me at the point of sale referred to the guarantee as an insurance policy. In particular "you have opted to take out the following insurance policy with us:- extended warranty and guarantee".
    Yes, that's exactly what every single aftermarket warranty is - an insurance policy. You pay the premium, they pay the claim if it meets the criteria of coverage.
  • Scad
    Scad Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Au contrare Rodney, au contrare.

What is said during a sales process is every bit as important as the written contract.

s50 of the Consumer Rights Act. You should look it up some time. Very useful. :cool:
  • AdrianC
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Never mind what the salesman said, what did the actual documentation say? Because one of those is far more important and relevant than the other...
    Scad wrote: »
    What is said during a sales process is every bit as important as the written contract.
    Lovely, an' all. Now prove they said it...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So the CV joint gaiter failed to retain the grease, and the joint died. Situation normal there. The only surprise would be if it really was the clip itself, rather than the gaiter simply wearing through.
    Seen the clip rust and snap a few times.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Seen the clip rust and snap a few times.
    Indeed - or it was bodged last time the boot was replaced - but on a car young enough to be retailed by a dealer chain, with a 2yr warranty?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lovely jubbley on getting your money back!
  • Zigimbo
    Zigimbo Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 11 October 2019 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Hi,me too,sweet talking salesman but did better than your salesman told me the car was covered bumper to bumper.Auto Protect should be looked into by a the motoring Ombudsman its an absolutely disgrace.l purchased jaguar last December from Evans and Halshaw after a month it broke down,I was told buy Garage it reqiued money authorisation up front just to do diagnostic work.They contacted Auto protect funds denied.I remember reading about DickTurpin as a child,same family!!!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Those metal clips securing drive shaft/CV joint gaiters were a problem even when I was in the trade, and that was way back in '97. If I saw one with damage during MOT, service or any other work, I would inform the owner and recommend they be replaced by large, thick plastic tie - wraps. We kept lots of these for other jobs and I never knew one to break. The metal clips are like big Jubilee clips and being metal, they corrode and can stretch. When that happens they can cut the gaiter and out goes the lubricant. I found that the thick plastic tie - wraps made a tighter seal.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Zigimbo
    Options
    Hi bought a car from Evans and Halshaw was advised to take 2 years cover with Auto protect,the car broke down after 45 days contacted Auto Protect covered for nothing not even diagnostic work,when I voiced my discussed to there representative he told me they had 800,000 customers boy what scam I wish I had thought of this.Its brilliant and simple sell all these policies that cover but the get the money in the bank at point of sale,not doubt the garage that sell this policy to you also get comision. my car :money::money::money::money::money:still not working and in garage now after12 months.Will somebody please investigate this company ,motoring ombudsman any official body with teeth,I'm more than whiling to contribute my finding gathered over the last 12 months, many thanks for reading this if you have been scammed too.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    What was the issue, and what did the warranty Ts & Cs say was covered?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure