Weird phone problem

Options
NaughtiusMaximus
NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 25 September 2019 at 6:10PM in Mobiles
I have an Xperia Z3, I was watching a youtube video last night when the phone shut down telling me the battery was at 0%, odd as it was fully charged about 6 hours before and I hadn't used it that much.

When I plugged it in, the battery indicator said 52%, phone worked fine for few minutes than shut itself down and restarted again. I left it plugged in and the phone carried on like that: on for a few minutes, shut down, restart, on for a few more minutes etc for about half an hour before it settled down and stayed on. It's worked fine today.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause might be?

Thanks

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Battery might be on the way out. How old is the phone??
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Battery might be on the way out. How old is the phone??

About 4.5 years old
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If its over 4 yrs on the original battery its more than likely battery is tired
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is classic battery failure behaviour. The battery has fallen in capacity and the management software hasn't kept up - 52% is the new 0%!
    If you want to see further, and possibly help the calibration of the software along, so that 0% means 0%, you may have some success with an app called AccuBattery - leave it on measuring the device discharging, and then charge fully, and it can give you some numbers. Nothing is going to fix the battery though.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

This specific problem hasn't happened again but I have noticed the past few months that the when the battery is down to half charge it then seems to discharge a lot faster - ie it goes from 50-0 in about half the time it takes to go from 100-50, probably down to the same cause I suppose.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, as above, the calibration of the software for the battery hasn't kept up with the degredation. Run it down to flat (actually shuts down) and recharge, which might help the calibration show you 0% before shutdown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure