Student housing

My DS is being tied to a terrible contract with student housing, there are 7 tenants but they are liable for garden maintenance, tv licence, batteries for smoke detectors, the landlord is tight as a toilet roll charging over £450. Its a dump. Is this all legal. My son just wants a simple clean room and to study.


  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,834
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Garden maintenance, TV Licence, Batteries for Smoke Detectors are all responsibilties that can legally be passed onto tenants, along with paying for water, gas, electricity, broadband and bulbs for light fittings.

    Your DS had the choice of the entire market to find something for less that £450 and presumably failed because there is a going rate for student accommodation. If he wanted an "All-inclusive" arrangement (like in a hotel), it would have cost a lot more than £450 because of all the management involved.

    I presume you also read the tenancy agreement carefully before you allowed him to sign it, and were aware of the responsibilities that the agreement put on the tenants?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Tell him to contact his university they have a legal team and they are used to landlords like this. If it wasn't in the signed contract he is not liable for it. But as I suggested contact the university. Also ask him to post in the overheard page which all university’s have and ask some students if they are familiar with this landlords practices. I hope your son gets it sorted.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    7 tenants means it's a HMO.
    Has the landlord got a HMO licence for the property your DS is living in ? YOU can check on the council HMO website !
    Has the LL supplied the tenants with a Gas Safe certificate for the gas central heating, gas fire, gas hob or gas oven if fitted ?
    Did the tenants get an EPC , EICR, PAT testing, deposit information and prescribed information ?
    How to rent booklet.
    Right to rent checks ?
    Ask your Son to speak to the University housing officer or housing office.
    Manchester Student Homes is a brilliant website with lots of good advice.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2019 at 9:47PM
    7 tenants means it's a HMO with all the rules around room size, fire safety, etc

    New rules and legislation which has recently come into effect means a Landlord must provide a safe home fit for habitation
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2019 at 9:56PM
    Batteries for smoke alarms ?
    You are joking ?
    There should be a mains wired interlinked system which has been checked and certified !
    Ask the LL or Letting agent for the Fire Risk Assessments for the property.
    Does it have turn locks on exit doors, emergency lighting ?
    If not then a phone call to the council HMO people might be in order.

    Your DS can get a led light bulb for £1.99 from home bargain or B and M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards