We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Amigo Loans Irresponsible lending complaints thread

Options

Comments

• onwards&upwards
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Do Halifax, or RBS, or any other prime lender?

Why do you think different rules apply to subprime lenders vs prime ones?

Because they charge nearly 50% interest and prey on the vulnerable and desperate.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Because they charge nearly 50% interest and prey on the vulnerable and desperate.

Their interest rate is irrelevant and they charge an interest rate proportional to the risk involved with lending to those customers.
  • Duke203
    Duke203 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    robboa wrote: »
    Hi all

Now you can complain against this horible company to the ombudsman and with over 83 percent of cases siding with the creditor - i thought i'd start this thread for success stories.

Are you able to furnish us with the source of your 83% please?

A quick look through your posting history provides a brief insight into the cause of companies giving out high interest loans, and the answer might surprise you, as it's you.

You have stated you have a number of satisfied defaults, and if I was in the business of lending money and expecting it to be paid back on time, and with defualts in your file, I'd probably lend to you at 100-150% maybe, so count yourself lucky Amigo were foolish enough to send the money over to you at such a low 50% rate.

Why are you complaining to the FOS about them BTW?
    "Chuck Norris can remain solvent for longer than the markets can remain irrational"
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 September 2019 at 5:01PM
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    ...they have a business model that requires they charge more because their customers stand a greater chance of defaulting vs Mr and Mrs "Bucket" from middle England.

I'd rather these companies didn't exist at all, but I do understand that people from all walks of life have a need to borrow money from time to time and they're simply satisfying the demand from one part of the market.
    I have not got a problem with Amigo existing. Nor do I have a problem with the rates they charge. The problem I have is that they're targeting individuals who would be classified as vulnerable, without first having in place a policy to protect their vulnerable customers from harm or detriment.

FCA paper on Consumer Vulnerability
    Definition of Vulnerable
    The FCA – A vulnerable consumer is someone who, due to their personal circumstances, is especially susceptible to detriment, particularly when a firm is not acting with appropriate levels of care.

Please read page 19 in full to get a more complete definition of vulnerability.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have not got a problem with Amigo existing. Nor do I have a problem with the rates they charge. The problem I have is that they're targeting individuals who would be classified as vulnerable, without first having in place a policy to protect their vulnerable customers from harm or detriment.

Then the guarantors are as guilty, if not more so, as the lender, because they know far more about their vulnerability than the lender can ascertain.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Then the guarantors are as guilty, if not more so, as the lender, because they know far more about their vulnerability than the lender can ascertain.
    I think that is something we can all agree on. That the decision making processes of the guarantor is flawed (and that is being generous to them)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• boo_star
    Options

There's absolutely no evidence that they're targeting vulnerable people.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Whether someone is vulnerable or not is definitely a subjective opinion. After all, how can you say with certainty that an individual is "especially susceptible to detriment". Plus it could all depend on whose definition of vulnerable you go with... ;)

I love my job

• boo_star
    Options
    Whether someone is vulnerable or not is definitely a subjective opinion. After all, how can you say with certainty that an individual is "especially susceptible to detriment". Plus it could all depend on whose definition of vulnerable you go with... ;)

They're not vulnerable.

It's that easy.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    :shocked: :shocked:

I believe your subjectivity leaves us at deadlock.

:naughty:

I love my job

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills