Petplan renewal increase

I went from paying £21 to now paying £30 per month for a 4 year old indoor cat with no previous or current health problems. It just seems a bit much to me? Would you suggest switching to someone else? Lifetime cover with “Healthy Pets” is quoting me £4.37...

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Check reviews of those who have had to claim.

4.37 is a hug difference for the same cover?
  • I have changed from Petplan to Animal Friends.

At 3 years old when I changed, the monthly premium had increased from £30 at 6 weeks old to £57 at 3 years old.

With no claims or conditions, I cancelled and switched to Animal Friends for £15 per month instead. If my dog had any conditions, then my decision may have been different because of the exclusion of existing conditions.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Beware of any policy underwritten by E&L who ten to wriggle out if paying up.

AnimalFriends apply any exclusions very strictly before paying out. Reviews are very mixed for them.

Cheap insurance is cheap for a reason.

Check what cover you have - lifetime, per condition or 12 months cover only for a condition. I f your pet develops and ongoing condition - diabetes, kidney disease etc then you have no cover for that condition after 12 months.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Took out 'lifetime' with Petplan for an eight year old cat, started at £11.00 odd, last payment, five years later was £19.41.
    By then as well the exclusions went up to £95.00 (and they deducted a further 25% off the remainder before paying.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Direct line have been a bargain for my two cats - £16 pm total
    :santa2:
  • Nothing is a bargain until you need them to payout. If you pay £11 a month and they refuse your claims or only cover a fraction of the cost, how much of a bargain is that? I pay more in pet insurance than I do in car insurance and I still got denied coverage when I needed it.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We were with Animal Friends for a couple of years, then saw a notice that our vets would no longer deal with them directly. They also hiked our premiums, so I did some digging and we went with PetPlan.
  • jr1985 wrote: »
    I went from paying £21 to now paying £30 per month for a 4 year old indoor cat with no previous or current health problems. It just seems a bit much to me? Would you suggest switching to someone else? Lifetime cover with “Healthy Pets” is quoting me £4.37...

£30 a month (£360 per year) doesn't buy very much in the way of veterinary treatment.

Like any insurance it seems a lot when you are paying without making a claim and seems a bargain when you are facing a bill for thousands.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hmm, you mean it has jumped that much since last year, or from when you first got him/her?
    I have 2 indoor cats - aged 4 and 5 - one of which (the elder) I've just had the renewal e-mail through from Petplan. It has gone from £21.56 to £24.37.
    Petplan are more expensive than other insurance companies but they also have a very good reputation, so many of us think they're worth paying more for - Vets will often allow Petplan to pay them directly rather than you paying first, because they have such a good reputation for paying out on claims.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    JR_Ryan wrote: »
    Nothing is a bargain until you need them to payout. If you pay £11 a month and they refuse your claims or only cover a fraction of the cost, how much of a bargain is that? I pay more in pet insurance than I do in car insurance and I still got denied coverage when I needed it.

You got the cover you paid for. The fact that you did not read you policy document or your renewal statements is not Petplan's fault.

You are more likely to claim on your pet insurance than on your car insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure