Over and out – now the PPI deadline's passed, we're celebrating your reclaim successes

Options
It's almost two weeks now since the PPI deadline passed. And here at MSE Towers, we're feeling a little out of sorts. Like that period between Christmas and New Year when you don't know what day it is, and feel like you've actually morphed into a turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich...

We've fought your corner for such a long time... and the truth is, we're not ready to let go just yet. So on the MSE Forum, we've been handing out special badges. We think being named a 'PPI Party Pooper' is an honour, and you should wear your badge with pride. It means you've rained on the banks' parades and rightfully won back some money from them, hopefully with our help. It's our way of saying thanks, and a massive well done to you.

On my latest blog, you can see some of the most recent posts as the 2019 deadline came to a close – which are very typical of the successes we've seen as a whole.

Let us know what you think below :beer: :money:

- MSE Molly
9pq8rzqiakm0.png MSE's Academy of Money digital badge

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    MSE_Molly wrote: »
    So on the MSE Forum, we've been handing out special badges. We think being named a 'PPI Party Pooper' is an honour, and you should wear your badge with pride. It means you've rained on the banks' parades and rightfully won back some money from them
    Fully seven years on, it still amazes me that I was never awarded this badge.:eek:
    In 2012, I joined this forum having already submitted my PPI complaint. Within weeks I was refunded just under £20K and I've been responding to others here seeking PPI refunds ever since.

To anyone still interested, my personal tale can be read here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3959897
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fully seven years on, it still amazes me that I was never awarded this badge.:eek:
    In 2012, I joined this forum having already submitted my PPI complaint. Within weeks I was refunded just under £20K and I've been responding to others here seeking PPI refunds ever since.

To anyone still interested, my personal tale can be read here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3959897

There needs to be a badge for ‘Giving People a reality check’ re yours and others’ posts over the last few years.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • problemcashback
    Options
    There should be a badge for those that read what they signed up to originally:)
  • CassarJ74
    Options
    All, I claimed a few weeks from the deadline, in doing so I maximised the 8% interest payment (sixteen years interest) where else pays 8%

Over 5k awarded before they took the 20% for the taxman and more was interest than PPI premiums
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    I don't think this is over by a long chalk... these companies will still try & get out of paying if they think they can get away with it... I've made several claims to MBNA giving policy numbers which I'm sure had PPI.. they've written back very quickly each time to say there is no PPI, but without sending me the paperwork to prove it... Grrr!!!!
    Anyone else having problems? I guess it's time for the Financial Ombudsman...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No point in going to FOS if MBNA don't have any evidence of you having PPI. FOS won't have any evidence of your policies.

Just send them MBNA your own evidence and they can work off that.
  • topoftherock
    Options
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    I don't think this is over by a long chalk... these companies will still try & get out of paying if they think they can get away with it... I've made several claims to MBNA giving policy numbers which I'm sure had PPI.. they've written back very quickly each time to say there is no PPI, but without sending me the paperwork to prove it... Grrr!!!!

I’m in the same position with a few of my complaints. I’m going to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if they don’t provide the info I want.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If there is no PPI then there is no PPI, you don't even know whether you paid PPI ! You really need to provide proof that you paid it, otherwise what do you expect the FOS to do ? They will ask MBNA who will say you didn't have PPI !! Game over.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I’m going to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if they don’t provide the info I want.
    You keep repeating that over and over despite being told that neither the ICO nor the Ombudsman can somehow magic up records which no longer exist?

I think you are going to be massively disappointed when your "complaints" to those organisations are not upheld.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've made several claims to MBNA giving policy numbers which I'm sure had PPI.. they've written back very quickly each time to say there is no PPI, but without sending me the paperwork to prove it... Grrr!!!!
    How do you suppose they can prove a negative? Their records show you had no PPI, so the only way you can change this situation is if you can find documentary evidence of this phantom PPI in your own archive. Remember, as the complainant the burden of proof is upon you not the Bank.

Imagine for a moment that I claimed you owed me money.
    Would it be correct that you have to prove that you don't owe me or should I have to prove that you do? It's the same principle here.

Taking such a "complaint" to the Ombudsman is a waste of time. All the Ombudsman would/will do is check that the regulatory complaints process has been followed.

If you continue to believe they are withholding information, you can send them a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter which will provide you with all documentation they have kept on file for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure