IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CCJ VCS advice needed

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Please don't pay a scammer. At least think about this over the weekend!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • McOfson
    McOfson Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I will.
    if I still feel the same on Monday do I just call vcs and then follow up with email copying in the court?
  • henrik777
    henrik777 Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    McOfson wrote: »
    can i not just pay it? I found it too stressful to go to court.

Of course you can, but unless they are claiming interest it's unlikely to cost you more later on and you can pay at any time before judgment.

Sometimes they'll discontinue after losing a set aside, sometimes on receipt of a decent defence so it's worth carrying on to see if they fold before paying, if indeed you decide you want to pay rather than sit in a court again.
  • Molts
    Molts Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    the set aside was granted. the judge said I need to have a statement of truth and a defence sent to court within 14 days.

The Judge obviously feels you have a strong case so why wouldn't you?

You have already snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with the help of this amazing forum. Allow them to guide you the rest of the way. Rest up over the weekend, consider what an outrageous scam you are a victim of and come back with renewed resolve to fight on Monday morning.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If push comes to shove you can settle on the court steps. You have absolutely nothing to lose in filing a defence and seeing if they discontinue. They frequently do discontinue in similar circumstances.

Even if you turn up to court intending to settle you can negotiate before you go in. There is nothing wrong with getting a last minute settlement at a lower cost to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Since you're this far in you may as well commit to defending it fully.

However, if you're going to negotiate, for goodness sake get all the additional nonsense taken off, the £60 that they've not incurred and won't recover, interest (which is invariably incorrectly calculated) etc.

You don't really want to agree to paying more than £100 to buy your way out of this.
  • McOfson
    McOfson Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    how would I start negotiations, via phone or email? do I just state the set aside and then offer the amount?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    how would I start negotiations, via phone or email? do I just state the set aside and then offer the amount?

Quill, parchment and penny black. Head your letter (and it needs to be a letter) Without Prejudice Save As To Cost.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    save as to cost? I'm not sure what that means?

It's ''Without Prejudice Save As To Costs''.

It means that, if they don't accept your offer, and the case ends up in court, the letter can't be shown to the Judge until after Judgment has been given.

Then if they lose, or win but are awarded a figure which doesn't beat your offer, you should get your full costs awarded, and they get none of theirs, because they will have wasted the court's time by pursuing a case which they should have agreed to settle out of court.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    save as to cost? I'm not sure what that means?

Why not google stuff you do not know?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure